I've seen several lists like this in the past and for those of you out there unsure what to say or what not to say to people adopting, this will help clarify things NOT to say!
Top 10 things NOT to Say to a couple adopting:
10. What a lucky baby. Think of the life you are saving. (people who adopt will tell you that the parents are the luckiest ones of all)
9. Aren't you afraid you won't love her like your own? (hmmm, I thought she was our own?)
8. I could never do that.
7. How much will she cost? (we're not getting a flat screen folks!)
6. Why didn't you adopt from the US? There are so many needy babies here.
5. Oh you're so smart not to ruin your body with a pregnancy!
4. I've heard those babies are _______ (fill in your own stereotypical sentiment here: smart, well-behaved, sick, etc)
3. Aren't you afraid of what will happen once you get her home? (i.e. adopted kids are trouble.)
2. You are doing it the easy way! (you have not idea how easy it is the 'natural' way!)
And My all time favorite...
1. Well, now you're probably going to get pregnant!
No comments:
Post a Comment