Sunday, October 01, 2006

Therapy for the impatient

Ok, I'm not a huge doll fan. There, I admited it, that's the first step right? No, not in OVERCOMING it, just in accepting it :)

All the credit for my doll phobia goes to my older brother Mike and my Mom (major science/techie !!!). Sure, I had Barbies (gotta love the Barbie Cruise Ship and Car), the crawling/peeing doll, but I also had boy hand me down toys (tool sets, trucks, etc). Thanks to Mom and Mike, the cool toys didn't pee, come with a comb and sequin tops or have pink as a major color! I'm always greatful that I had the types of toys that raised my interest in the Sciences from Day One. Thanks Mom!

Seriously, when E and I look for toys we think of Science sets, microscopes, our only bummer is that it will be a while before Magpie can appreciate them and if we got them now E and I would break them playing with them!

But, Asian themed dolls can be hard to find and so when I see something 'special' or one that might 'wear well', I tend to pick it up, if it's reasonable. So far, I had only bought Ling. One for Magpie and one for a friend online (Sarah). Ling is available on ChinaSprout.com and her picture is to the right. She speaks more than a dozen phrases, both Chinese and English. If you opt for Ling, get the taller one, she speaks more phrases.

So when I saw another doll mentioned in a link on a Yahoo group we decided to get it too. I thought my fellow bloggers who check in here regularly, might want to check this out.

http://www.afk.com/catalog/Detail.tpl?command=search&db=AFKstore.db&eqSKUdata=DL140SW&cart=1158459153911811

So Magpie won't be surrounded just in Tonka Trucks, Lincoln Logs, Legos and 'Science Sets", she'll have a few dolls too, that is if Zane let's her keep them for long. Can you picture Zane picking up Ling, biting the doll and freaking out when she hears "Ni Hao"?

Can't wait to see that moment, LOL!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There will be a bed here for whatever dolls come this way for a visit. Got a lovely doll bed with embroidered pillow and coverlet while at Linda's a couple of weeks ago. Of course, that's in addition to the Lego set and Tonka toys.

Sorry to hear about the house. In another couple weeks, you'll be in and getting settled. Just remember we were in that apartment for more than four months while our house was built. You can tell your blogger buddies about that one. Finally had to board the dog during the week because he went nuts cooped up in the bathroom all day. He came home "on leave" on the weekends.

Good luck. Love, Mom

Chrissie said...

Very, very cute doll ... and let's hope Zane doesn't chew the doll's head off.

I fear for what Logan will do to dear baby's toys. He somehow doesn't have that concept of "my toys are my toys and your toys are your toys..." Unfortunately he thinks all "stuffed" squishy toy-like things belong to him...to tear into shreds bit by bit. Is he too old to learn differently? We shall see...apparently now sooner than later :-)