Monday, November 27, 2006

Latest APC Rant

I read on the APC Yahoo board yesterday the current 'argument' where one person tries to teach another how their opinion is the 'right one'. It was about how he thought blogging could gets in the way of properly preparing for adoption and all it's challenges, and that effort put into a blog could be better spent on educating yourself on the Yahoo APC board, where the experts are, yeah, right. Though APC can have a wealth of information, it can at times be filled with egotistical blathering.

My Top 10 benefits of blogging:

1. This is a diary for all of her immediate and extended family/friends. It allows the ENTIRE family to get involved, to learn, to grow, to bond, should they choose. Preparation and education is a great opportunity for anyone willing to take part.

2. It's helped drive me to read a book each month, and write about it, albeit for a hiatus these last few months during the move. Each book opens my eyes to different aspects of the Chinese culture I never would have learned otherwise.

3. By reading other blogs, I learn about the challenges parents face, many unwilling to post on APC, likely due to the swarming vultures who would eat them alive for voicing their fears, their realities, their challenges. Through their blogs I learn how to overcome, how to prepare, how to just enjoy those early weeks through all the stress they can be.

4. This blog, and most of the posts, are Magpie's legacy... can you imagine if I handed her a bound copy of a month of APC, her confusion as she reads through flaming after flaming of the poor adoptive family who posts something controversial.

5. Enables me to better heal for all that we've gone through the last few years... healing this way has allowed me to move on, without guilt.

6. My links, and my links links (are you with me?) provide a never ending source of laughter along with education... books on attachment, debates with other bloggers on one topic or another.

7. Writing is a powerful tool, I've made new friends, I've been enriched by the kindness of others... relationships and long term insight I have yet to find on APC.

8. I have compiled information on what medications to bring to China, how to handle attachment issues, good books to read, how to travel with a new 1 year old child, how to properly document she is our child -to handle the issue that occurs when either the mom or dad is accused of not being the parent by law enforcement since they don't look alike. In general, a ton of 'how to' advice that may or may not apply, but that we have exposure to.

9. I've been enriched by reading other blogs from the perspective of the Korean Adoptee. It's been eye opening and at times difficult to read. It's important to keep the blinders off in this process.

10. I've learned tons through all the research I've done on Chinese culture, I'll never be an expert, but I know understand much more than ever before about Chinese Culture, holidays, values, etc. and so when Magpie wants to know more, we can be her rock.

APC ok for general info, and occasional criticism and flaming for being honest, blogging, good for the mind, spirit, soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's comments like those that made me leave APC a few months ago. I got so tired of all the judgmental people, where there was only one right way to do things. I completely agree with you on the benefits of blogging. Most times, I'm not even writing about the adoption (since there's not a whole lot of news these days) but it keeps me busy and has helped keep me more sane. I was having a really tough time with things, but having the chance to make my bloggy friends, read about adoption related topics, and to write silly posts has helped a lot.

TBG Happenings said...

I have some crude words for what APC stands for but since Magpie will be able to read this blog one day, I don't want you to have to explain my vocabulary words:) I have to admit to checking the list every once in a while, but I try not to get too caught up in their nonsense. If I didn't have my blogging buddies this wait would certainly kill me! Friends and family are great but some times it really takes a friend who has been were you are to help you see the "light".

Maryellen