Sunday, December 24, 2006

Things I miss about the Bay

We moved from the Chesapeake Bay the middle of this year and there are things I definitely miss:

My Friends, they became our surrogate family.

Access to DC, we went many times each year.

The Tapas restaurant in the Inner Harbor and the Inner Harbor in general.

St. Michaels, the Christmas Shoppe and Mason's Restaurant (oh, the desserts were to die for) were my favorites

Longwood Gardens, ok, not technically part of the Bay, but close enough. Every year we'd see the fireworks and fountain display. They did this firework show timed to incredible music and the fountains do a timed show all at the same time. At the holidays their indoor and outdoor display is incredible, see the pics.

Access to Phillip's Jumbo Lump Maryland Crab Meat, essential for the crab dip recipe I wrangled from Mike. Alas, no Maryland Crab Meat here. Might have to order through Phillip's online.

we're a bit melancholy these past few days. Nearly made it through Christmas without great sadness over Sophia setting in. But I admit, the sadness finally set in, it's more so loneliness that can't be replaced by any person, place or thing. This year, wrapping Christmas presents brought the sadness out for E, for me, it was a family party with many children present and the realization that neither our son, who would be just over 2 years old, nor our daughter who would be 1 now were there with us. The holidays are full of potholes you have to navigate while all around you life just sort of moves on and the holes in your heart heal all too slowly. We talked a bit about it on our way home from the party last night, sad times for sure and it's not clear that people realize how difficult it is to go along with everyone else. I know some do because they let us know, but it's hard for so few acknowledge the realness and nearness of our pain.I really have little memory of last winter, especially Christmas, it's an eerie feeling to realize you don't remember period of time, especially one that you normally hold dear to your heart.

This year both E and I feel additional loss knowing that Magpie may not be with us for Christmas 2007. A very tough thing to acknowledge.

So is it any wonder that we're a bit melancholy and longing for some familiar ground... like the ground we knew at our home by the Bay. I know, our new home in New England will one day feel more like home than just someplace we live. But it's gonna take some time, perhaps even years before we really feel the way we did when we left the Bay behind in our rear view mirror.

The word Home is a complex thing, made more of emotions than bricks, mortar, landscaping or anything else. One day we'll be there, for now, I miss the old familiar things.

3 comments:

K~ said...

Mason's!!!! That is right by our house. That is too funny! Richard and I enjoy many of the same things at Christmas around the Chesapeake.

Merry Christmas!
~Kindel

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you are having a tough time. I can imagine the holidays being rough. I think it's a normal thing to long for familiarity. Maybe a trip to the Bay is needed sometime soon?

Anonymous said...

Wowo, fancy shmancy lights. I am sorry the wait sucks so much. I really am.