Monday, February 12, 2007

ALT, take 5


Sad but true, this is the next to last ALT post. So many things set these fabrics apart, but some of the biggest differences lie within the individuals sending the squares and the ability to get to know a tiny piece of them through our group. May we one day know even more.

And on to this installment.

This first square is this cool pattern that looks like it could go into motion at any moment. It's a rich wonderful series of blue ovals and I really like it. This square is from a pair of ALT's who recently hosted a get together that we missed. Bummer, next time. They wished Magpie Courage and
Compassion, I think that is quite a valuable combination, for many of us in life have one or the other but so few have both and it's something we all need to strive to do more of together. There quote was from Robert F. Kennedy and I really like it. Thanks.

The second square reminds me of art class in middle school when we were introduced to a different style of art every few weeks... pointalism, expressionism... I really like it. She wished Magpie Adventure, to plunge boldly into the thick of life and seize it where you will, it is always interesting. It's a wonderful combination of both fabric and wish and she did a great job picking it out... there must a story behind the bridge, quote and fabric, perhaps one day we'll know more. Sounds like a great idea for a new conversation topic online that I might yet start.


The third square comes from these wonderful artists that we've never had the opportunity to see at any art show we've been too. They work with metal and weave it into these cool quilts, artwork for the walls. We have a spot over our mantle that E and I hope one day to fill with a piece, we left it blank for that reason. They sent this cool fabric that for some reason reminds me of the Jetson's and I loved that cartoon. They quoted so many different people and if you could get these people in a room together I wonder what they might talk about... Mick Jagger, John Waters, Jean Michel basquiat and Picasso. Thanks.

The last square reminds me of my Nana and Pop, they travelled to Holland during the tulip festival a few times and the pictures were incredible... it's on our list of places to go one day. Though I'm not a fan of Tulips in our garden, I do adore seeing mounds of them planted in a park. So thank you for reminding me of the wonderful people I used to know. They wished Mapgie great insight and strength and sent a wonderful quote along with it, called the invitation, about knowing and being happy with who you are when you are alone... let's face it, sometimes in life being alone is the hardest to do. But if you can find happiness in solitude, you will likely find happiness with most you meet.

Sadly, this is the next to last post from the ALT swap.

5 comments:

Donna said...

Yes there is a story behind my square, bridge, quote, and fabric. The fabric is Australian. Four years ago I took a solo trip to Sydney where I had a weird hotel room break in, went bushwacking in the Blue Mtns and most importantly climbed the Sydney Harbor Bridge. I chose the quote from Goethe not only for the meaning but when I studied in West Germany(yup before the wall came down) on my first solo trip, I hiked to a tower where Goethe wrote poetry. I treasure those adventures where I took risks and discovered parts of myself.

Anonymous said...

I miss getting new squares in the mail each day:(

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am just catching up with blogs...yes, I am a loser, but it took de-moderating on the ALTs for me to get around to my blog reading again...love to see the squares here. I am really missing the mail.

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! I loved getting all of the ALT squares, and miss looking forward to getting the mail everyday. These wishes will definitely hold a prominent place in the Wish Book.

Beeb said...

Ummm...I'm tardy - so you still will be getting at least one more ALT aquare....sometime....hopefully soon...