Saturday, February 24, 2007

Thankful Thoughts

After the last post about soulprints below (thanks everyone who emailed me privately with their own soulprints stories), I spent a lot of hours thinking, about life, about friends, family, good things in general. I realized it's been a couple weeks since I've done a post about the things that recently I've been thankful for. So here goes:
The first picture is of the view outside our back windows. On thursday night and on into Friday morning we had a few inches of snow, creating this winter wonderland. Snow resting on every branch from the largest to the tiniest. It created this incredible scene on the drive to work, with what looks like miles and miles of snowcovered trees resembling cotton batting, where every so often a fir tree, barely green and mostly white, would burst up through the cotton field. Incredible.

So I'm thankful for the view and beauty, very thankful that my spin out on the mountain pass resulted in nothing more than a case of nerves on those last few miles to the office. Considering the spin out occured between a truck coming up the hill and a plow going down, I'm lucky that it was nothing more than a spin.

The next photo is of a cute bundle of fabric at the store, Eric saw it today and so we picked it up. He really likes the fabrics and I think he's got some great taste. He was quite a hit at the quilt fabric store, several ladies joking with him, talking about how they wish their husband would go to the store and Eric bantering back about how, really, it's best to leave the husband home.

Thankful for the man I married and the way he is, willing to crack a joke and go along on a trip that he'd rather not!

While there we picked up the fabric for the backing on the quilt (dark blue batique), the neutral background for the quilt blocks (the pale yellow batique) and the borders/frame fabric (pale blue pattern with pale yellow) around the inner blocks (cardtricks) and outer blocks (6" squares). Thankful to finally figure out the quilt, ha ha ha, so I think. And the little/not so little things:

the chocolate sauce that arrived in the mail, we made sundae's for dinner! Thanks Michele.

The wonderful news of a referral for friends of ours.

The feeling growing that I should start buying the bigger things... like car seats. Though I know we're too far away to start doing this but the feeling is good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, great view!!

Love the fabrics! Kudos to Eric for the help.

I know what you mean about purchases. I just said to Mike that once we get settled in our place in Alaska, we have to start thinking about setting up the nursery and making those larger purchases. It is definitely an exciting feeling.

C's Mom said...

Stunning view.

I am looking forward to seeing how the quilt comes along. Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

Eric's got great taste. I love that cute bundle of fabrics. I can totally picture him joking with the ladies in the store. He's very funny! The thankful posts are always enjoyable to read. And for that I'm thankful!

comingaroundagain said...

Beautiful snow!

Love these posts - it's like you are passing around seeds that bloom into my own thankful thoughts. Thanks.

Polar Bear said...

Sundaes for dinner! I want to come to your house for dinner. YUM!

I love the fabric you picked out for the quilt. It is going to be wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful picture of your yard. Winter can be such a pain, but oh so beautiful! Enjoy those Sundaes, wish I was there.