Saturday, March 03, 2007

Lunar Eclipse vs. Adoption Meltdown, Round 1

I know, I haven't blogged much this week and I have no good reason for the lull. In fact, I have several posts in draft from a few weeks ago and I have a few updates and ideas, what I don't have is motivation.

But I felt the need to post as we drove home from too long of a day visiting friends. Some friends you see and hear from all the time, some friends you see though you all wish you spent more time together, some friends you see on their time only and some friends you never see (and I don't mean that figuratively). The day was hard on both of us with a room full of people we don't know, and hosts we hadn't seen in 3 years... since we lost our first child and honestly, we haven't seen them since. But, in general, we're the kind of people that if someone invites us to a brithday party or event, we are there, no matter what, and so we went.

The hardest part of the day wasn't the fact that we spent 3 hours driving south, 4 hours driving north and 3 hours at the party, no, it was that we were the only people who didn't have kids and there were around 30 people total there and likely half of them kids. Normally this stuff doesn't bother us lately, we roll with it, but today it was awkward. Likely the situation of being childless in a room full of many people with children, only 2 of which we knew. It was good to see them, we invited them up for the weekend and all, but honestly, I'd much rather see them without the party scene.

The drive home was tough, we talked about it (being childless, the elephant in our lives that people still tiptoe around or pretend like a heartless a-hole doesn't exist) a few times, both of us sullen and thinking and trying to move past it. And then, I pointed into the sky:

Look! I think that's the moon!
Where?
That nearly invisible dark orange 'shadow' in the darkness.
oh yeah, must be really foggy out or smoggy.
No, there's a lunar eclipse tonight, wow.

We drive and watch from time to time and then, all of a sudden light starts to appear from above and the eclipse clears. It was calming, the darkness giving way to light. It mesmermized me, calmed me, helped me push that lump down my throat yet one more time. Something I'm getting far too good at these last few months. And I'm torn at whether covering up my very rare adoption meltdowns (due to the wait being likely 2 years now) is really a sign of maturity or a sign of numbness.

Quite frankly I don't want to know.

tonight, this is my very lame attempt at a 'thankful post'. I'm giving a very weak thanks to the absolutely crappy day spent mainly on the highways, as we enter our 6th year of trying to have a family.
The crappy day and that drive on the highways, well without it, we wouldn't have seen the gorgeous lunar eclipse and we might not have spent time today sharing some very deep thoughts and moments as we sort through our feelings of loneliness where our children are concerned, each and every one of them, little boy blue (we never named him, that's what I always call him, he would be 2 1/2 now) Sophia and Magpie.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your painful day, but glad you found some calming and peace at the end of it.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your pain and loss. Am so glad you experienced the moon tonight. "That nearly invisible dark orange 'shadow' in the darkness." Your description really says it all! You have such a way with words. You really capture the emotion, the tension, and the grief.

Michele said...

I so wish I could find a way to help make your pain go away a little but I know only Magpie will do that. You are constantly in out thoughts and we hope you can find some happy times in the coming of spring. Maybe more sundaes will help.

Beeb said...

I think M's comment said what I am thinking. I just wnat to give you a big warm hug right now!

Polar Bear said...

We were also at a birthday party last night. Sitting at a table with three other couples, all of them talking about their children and complaining about the craziness.

I understand your pain. We have never lost a child and I can't imagine that pain, but we have tried and failed so many times. Many years, many tears, and two miscarrisges later we are still waiting, hoping, and sitting at birthday parties with smiles on our faces wishing we had the craziness too.

One day you and I and our husbands will find what we are looking for, our family. I hope when that day comes I will be more open to understand parents that are in this position. I have friends that "thinks" she struggled with infertility, and now that her baby is almost one she seems to forget I am still struggling. I hope I never become like that.

Wow! Didn't mean for this to be such a long comment. I should send it in an email. Your post touched me today.

*HUGS*

Anonymous said...

Richard and I were driving around last night and I kept looking at the moon. It's always cool when you get to see some of those infrequent occurances. Funny thing was that as I watched it I was thinking about you and E. The moon and the stars always remind me of the nursery and all you have gone through. I am so glad you have been so connected to each other. You two really are amazing. Miss you...
K

Samantha said...

Thanks for the Eclipse photos ,I had missed it. I absoulutely can connect with your post. I have wanted a child of my own since I was a child. I can not wait for our referral and have had many adoption meltdowns. The good news is this will happen for us! We are on our way and no matter how excruciating this wait gets someday it just won't matter. When we are holding our beautiful gift from China this wait will be a distant memory!

wzgirl said...

The Moon, girl...the Moon. It is such a powerful body and has been, to me, for as long as I can remember. I am so happy to hear that it was for you - on this weekend of many feelings.

XO

comingaroundagain said...

Lunar ecplipses are beautiful. The moon is very calming - no matter what happens in the world, there it is each evening / night. No matter what. It's there (even if it may be covered by clouds, we know it's still there) shining down. I love that. This same moon shines on everyone (maybe at different times) in the world. Even wilder, it's the same moon that shone on my grandmothers and great grandmothers (and fathers) throughout their lives - through everything that ever happened to them....

Sorry for your crappy day - hang in there. . . .