Wednesday, July 18, 2007

But it's not faaiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I’ve read some things lately that make my stomach revolt, mainly just the reactions of waiting adoptive parents regarding changes in the program, both in the USA and China. There’s a world of difference between venting and ugliness and most of what’s to follow is from the uglier side of things. Lots of what I’ve read recently smacks of good old ‘entitlement’, the ‘you owe me’ stuff of life that is oh so ugly.

I’ll share some gems with you (yes, the items in quotes are real comments from adoptive parents pulled from various online websites):

…“do you know if at the time of referral the parents can refuse the referral and ask for a child from a province where it only costs $3,000 instead of $5,000”. (no honey, you weren’t our first choice, you were most cost effective)

… “I don’t see why I have to pay more, it’s like extortion, afterall, we have a CONTRACT” (wow, baby buying anyone? Extortion is what happens when there aren’t rules, China has a rule, they are raising rates to an amount that was already allowed when we signed on. After 15 years, shouldn’t they have the right to raise the rates?)

With regard to changing fees and the impact on those at the ‘front of the line’ … “we don’t have time to save money for this, it would be different if we had longer to wait” (eh hem, cough cough, tap on the shoulder from behind. I would be happy to switch places with you my dear. The remaining 12-16 months we have left to wait might provide you with the time you need.)

… “frankly this whole process feels a bit like bait and switch to me” (wow, bait and switch, you mean like a used car or the plasma TV at the store?)

Anyone get the feeling that through all the anger, some people are losing perspective?

For instance, the only reason we have the opportunity to adopt is because some family in China feels they have no option but to give up their own flesh and blood, for purely economic reasons, perhaps reasons related to the limited amount of children they are allowed to have, or a combination of both, related to fines for breaking the rules. Or what about the couples forced into late term (think full term) abortion… or perhaps the family who is sterilized. Or what about the couple who’s parents see the birth of a female child as a curse and take her themselves to the orphanage steps.

Their loss, their tragedy, their sacrifice, we all benefit from it in the form of a family of our own. Let’s not lose sight of the reality there are mounds and mounds of tragedy and unfairness which start our opportunity for a family.

Man, it makes me sick all the incessant whining, crying, pissing, moaning going on in the Chinese Adoption community lately. It’s not so much the initial uncomfortable/angry reaction to change that I have an issue with. I think that’s normal. More so, it’s the vengeful words, the behavior, the childishness, the selfishness, the bitterness, the ‘but but you owe me’.

Am I happy about the increase in fees? Uhm, NO?

But adoption, like childbirth is somewhat of a gamble, full of risk, to some degree we each need to have an inherent willingness to go along. Nothing in life is guaranteed, seriously, nothing. We all knew going in that things change, including fees, we may however have fixated our perception on what we think is right, or fair, or ‘current’, but that doesn’t mean we’ve fixed our perception on reality.

It’s been said that sometimes the only thing you have the power to change in life is your perspective.

My perspective is that life can be brutally unfair or it can be full of joy and happiness, but that most of all it changes. I feel deeply for the parents who brought Magpie into our life. I’m glad we’re fortunate and lucky enough to adopt her, I’m thrilled with the idea that one day Magpie will be more than just a twinkle in our eyes. The rest of the journey that is difficult, perhaps makes me ticked off?… that’s just water under the bridge and you can’t do a damn thing about most of it but change your perspective or move on to something else.

So let’s complete all the pissing and moaning about the raising of fees and get on with the monotony and joy of waiting.

Chocolate covered, rum ladybug anyone?

15 comments:

Jacquie said...

Well said. I had to quit reading comments on certain posts on certain sites long ago because of this same attitude. Drives me crazy.

Anonymous said...

It absolutely blows my mind that people have these thoughts. Crazy.

BTW, your ornament is exactly the same as that photo I posted! Yet another bizarre similarity we share, haha.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Thank you. There are definitely some folks who have lost perspective out there... it's pretty sad.

Anonymous said...

You know what, you are so right! I admit that I have been a bit whiney about this whole thing too but I am starting to see things in a different perspective, and your post has definitely helped.

I guess I got a little bent out of shape because from beginning to end, everything has gone wrong with our adoption process. It seems like anything that could go wrong, went wrong. So now with the fee going up, I was thinking that it was just one more thing to feel sorry for myself about. And as the wait drags on, and as things change, the more and more I feel frustrated and disappointed. And I TOTALLY should not be feeling that way.

I am grateful for the blessing of a child that I will receive from China and that is what I should be more focused on. My daughter is in China and she is my first choice and I will pay whatever I need to to get my child.

Thanks for your perspective. It helped break me out of my funk!

Mamacita said...

"Anyone get the feeling that through all the anger, some people are losing perspective?"

Oh yes I do. It's incredible. Its starting to feel like commodity trading instead of the miracle of adoption.

The other thing that pops into my mind about this post is that I don't think China gives a flying F@#* what any one of us think. Ever. No one has control over the China adoption process except the Chinese.

I am not comfortable at all with the 'joy of the wait' however and I whine. And whine.

Red Sand said...

yup. Of course we are impatient. It's not fun feeling like life is on hold indefinitely. That being said, perspective is so important and I try to focus on my tempered gratitude that we have a way to become parents, while still acknowledging how unfortunate it is that we will become parents through someone else's pain. Thank you for this post.

Anonymous said...

I think people are feeling like the program they signed up for is changing and evolving before them and that this can feel very scary to them. I dont agree with all of it but I also think that when things feel out of control, this is a natural reaction. I guess I get that when people feel scared or that things seem really out of their control (which a lot of this is), they react.

wzgirl said...

It is a balance and a challenging one at that. Lately, I've decided that whining takes too much energy. I'm having more fun planning trips and finding ways to give this wait time a few glimmers of sunshine. That actually GIVES me energy.

I'll admit, though...there are days when the whine & cheese come out. Again, for me, balance & honesty.

Today, I'll happily toast candy ladybugs with you. XO

CA Momma said...

Did you say chocolate? Bring 'em on!

Kathryn said...

Well said as usual!! So what fees are going up. I am not rich by any means, but how do you complain about what is out of our control. It is what it is and whatever the orphanges need I would be more than happy to give them more. My perspective is good today and like life many things are out of our control and nothing is for sure. We signed up for a roller coaster ride so hang on do what you need to do and anyone who wants to trade places to pay less like you said step aside, how do you put a price tag on adoption.
Kathryn

Cavatica said...

Nice post. Besides, I'm thinking that $4000-5000 to take care of MY child for the first 9-12 months of her life is a bargain. I don't think I'll be spending less for her care ever again --- and I'll be happy for it. Maybe we should keep the fees down and take some formula or nannies away. Now there's a fine proposal, cuz I gotta save my money for shoes, blood diamonds, and a Mini Cooper. Damn, I really want that Mini, too.

Me, I'm passing the time swimming to China and trying to be sane (yeah, there's a challenge).

Ps. Where's the chocolate?

Anne Marie said...

Excellent post -- similar fee increase happened with Taiwan adoption a few months ago. I also really like Cavatica's comment -- also really puts things in perspective.

Jenny said...

my lord, first off 1-2 grand in the scheme of things...NOTHING. We paid out 3x what we thought....3x and didn't flinch. It was worth every freaking cent.

Some people just shouldn't adopt. And hello, gas is now 3 bucks, costs rise, nothing you can do about it. Adoption is a business, the orphanages see that the money just isn't doing enough and need more.

And I hate that there are soo many friends waiting still...and I would say come over to Viet Nam but the wait there is crazy now too....and the fee is higher.

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

All I can say is DITTO, you could not have said it any better. No warning....honey we have plenty of warning, and just let me know how much to write my check!!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I hear you sister... I too am so fed up with the whining of fee increases, the wait etc yeah it is a major pain in the rear end and I wish it were a little different, but it isn't... I made the conscious decision to adopt and even though they said it was going to take 9 months before getting to China and recently being told I could wait up to 2 years... major bummer... but hey... you can either get dramatic some more or make the best of a bad situation... I keep joking that I am going to be 50 by the time I get there... I even whine myself but realistically... it will happen when it happens... I don't think that the CCAA will suddenly stop everyone from getting a child after saying 'yes' after the paperwork is out of review... like I said... make the most of a bad situation, make friends along the way, plenty of retail therapy and save a little extra for the added expenses in China (for when you have to buy that one extra pearl...lol) - enjoy life now... for all good things come to those who wait... Felicity (PS... now all those who don't agree with me, I am sure you will get to my site somehow)... Take care and be happy...