Monday, August 13, 2007

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

We finally came out on top for once with our luck... (though right as I hit the publish post button we're likely to be fated with something bad!)

I can't really tell you the manufacturer involved in the following post as the cyber police might not like it much and could yank the post. I'm seeing this more and more on the use of copyrighted things. But what I can tell you is that it involves a situation with a manufacturer where Life is not so Good. Enough said.

So based on our ongoing saga with our stove, dating back to months before this post in March, we have finally won the war, though we lost many a battle.

There was the time I got so angry with the last repairman I nearly threw him out of the house, he brought me to tears with his callous edge and arrogance. It's a rarity that anyone gets me to that point.

When he first entered the house I showed him the reason for the latest call (the digital display for the cooktop didn't light and or defaulted to errors and you either lost the console or couldn't tell what setting the burner was on) he said (yes, these were his words) "I don't see what your problem is, it turns on lady".

Later on when he was lecturing me on the finer points of stove ownership (as if I was unedumakated) I explained to him that he was the 7th visitor to our home for this stove in 9 months and that I wanted this peice of crap out of the house, he replied with "lady you don't know what you're talking about, this is an excellent stove"... I'd hate to see what he calls a bad one.

So after the following:

3-4 different issues
8 visits by the repairman
every electronic system, harness, control, switch, sensor, replaced (some twice)
entire new control console (interior and exterior parts for the top of the stove)
loss of vacation and sick day time babysitting 3 different technicians
endless (tried and true) recipes ruined (fried to well done in half the cooktime or never cooked)
countless phone calls to the folks mentioned in red above, the store, the repair company
spending hours on hold, only to explain again and again the details
faxing our history twice, to find out both times it was never submitted for a claim
being told by nearly every 'customer service' person that refunds were not allowed

We have a refund being mailed to us for the peice of crap stove that arrived in our house last October.

My secrets?

Organization-I kept notes at every visit, time, dates, impact, problem
Refusing to stop at the level of the customer service agent and bumping it to supervisor after supervisor
Finally telling them that I would take this to every organization I could unless I got the refund, including but not limited to state, local agencies, BBB, etc.
(lastly, my secret, luck?)

I think they finally realized I meant it when in response to their efforts to identify how to come pick it up and give us a new unit and they wanted our logistics (how many stairs, where to put the unit, etc), I said "there will never be another "XX" (xx being the name, not swear words) stove in our house again, ever, so I refuse to tell you how to bring a new unit into our house, period".

Our refund call came 48 hours after our last call to them. We are now in the market to get a new stove asap as the pick up is this week possibly.

5 comments:

Michele said...

Hip, hip horray! Finally! Major Snoopy dancing going on over here for you. Wonderful news. This really made my day (Funshine has been a real crank pot all day long). This reminds me of the escrow mess we had with our first mortgage company. They forgot to pay our school taxes and it took me 9 months to get them to straighten out it out. I had a file 3 inches thick from documenting our case.

Way to go girl! There was no way you should have had to deal with this crap but I am so happy for you that they finally realized that they would be in for an even bigger fight if they didn't give you that refund. Once the check arrives, run to the bank and cash it and then have an entire bottle of wine to celebrate.
I love good news and this is the perfect way to end my tough day. Thanks

Project Ni Hao said...

Geez, what a nightmare. And the service guys calling you "Lady"? Ohhhh, that always gets my goat. Glad you're getting the refund. Good riddance.

"M2" said...

not from Sears is it???
Crapsman is their brand.

Good for you.... you blood pressure through the roof
but you got that thing outa there

wzgirl said...

AH-NOY-ing! I would have been fit to be tied, too! What would I do without my stove?? Don't even want to consider such a nightmare. Good going, LB.

Anne Marie said...

OMG -- what you have been through! Congrats on the refund, but SO sorry you had to go through all that to get there.