(this has been updated. Inbetween writing the title and the post I forgot to count. now adding in year 6)
We just passed our 6th wedding anniversary last weekend, what a perfect time to reflect on the evolution of those types of dates.
(this list only applies to those who aren't freaks about their anniversaries and birthdays to begin with, I can't relate to them anyway!)
Year 1
Reminisce fondly on the awesome, beautiful, wonderful, peaceful serenity of the incredibly private ceremony in a very well planned Vegas wedding and it's lack of pomp and circumstance. Wishing a few people were with us, but otherwise it was perfect.
Have Champagne, plan the honeymoon the following spring in Alaska and give cheers to the future.
Year 2
Celebrate anniversary with fertility workups or perhaps an IUI for kicks. Joke with specialist at teaching hospital about charging an entrance fee to exams.
Take some fertility drugs and get your blood taken, it's a blast, give it a shot.
Wonder what the coming years will bring. Continue to be thankful for the awesome wedding, trip to Alaska the following year and dream of future trips.
We look at the list of "traditional" or "contemporary" gifts for wedding anniversaries, but exchange cards and yummy foods/treats instead.
Start the tradition of an annual charm for a bracelet, one charm to represent something special in that year.
Year 3
Talk about heading back to Vegas for the 5th Anniversary. This is of course after we realize it's our Anniversary cause someone sends us a card.
Yes, we are already that couple.
There are worse things to be in life though than a couple who isn't all hung up about themselves and their dates!
Year 4
Celebrate anniversary in a quiet way, we're 6 months pregnant, literally fat, dumb and happy.
Trade onesies and teddy bears. Work with the contractor on the design and finishes for the new playroom/office in the (to be) finished basement.
Go to sleep at like 9PM, thinking it's a late night!
Year 5
Plan all year to relive the 5th by heading back to Vegas but staying in "Paris" instead.
Reality, buy a house, skip the trip, invest in yard tools and curtains. Let husband know we missed the fake Paris so for our 10th we'll hit the real one.
Likelihood, by the 10th? Perhaps we'll make it to fake Paris, I hear it's all the rage, plus, the trip to the top takes so much less effort and at our age (ok, really, due to our lack of exercise), this is a plus.
*******************************
All kidding aside, how did we spend our 6th... the night of the Anniversary we installed a closet organizer in Magpie's room. The actual Anniversary? We returned the closet organizer we had bought at IKEA but which didn't fit so we had to install the one we originally bought (and have had for 6 months) and put in place on Friday.
But hey, we did have breakfast at IKEA and picked up some cute things, does that count?
6 comments:
Ain't love grand?
Seriously, it sounds like a winner to me. It isn't the singular date but all the other days that matter anyhoo.
As long as you had a good time, I'm all for it. A few weeks before our anniversary, I actually forgot the exact date and had to ask my husband. Oops.
Happy Anniversary! Did you have Swedish meatballs at IKEA? I've heard that they are good there.
I'm laughing about your 10th... In all likelyhood you'll probably instead be taking a trip to the real Disney so Magpie can go to the "house of mouse"!
"this list only applies to those who aren't freaks about their anniversaries and birthdays to begin with, I can't relate to them anyway!"
Ha!
I love wedding anniversaries - at least ours. . . but I seriously don't remember what we did too much out of the ordinary for the past several years (perhaps I documented one or two on my blog?).
I'm just glad we make it to the next one each year.
;-)
I woudn't want it any other way!
We don't celebrate big much anymore. We had planned to go to Hawaii for our 10th but instead waited to see if we were going to travel to bring home our baby. Now we enjoy visiting friends in southern NJ, walking along the boardwalk in Ocean City and indulging in lot of lobster (or at least I enjoy the lobster).
Happy Anniversary!
Hey, any breakfast out counts as a celebration in my book. Happy Anniversary!
Post a Comment