Sunday, April 13, 2008

Date night/day

We occasionally, maybe 2-4 times a month have a date night or date day and just get out, spend the day together relaxing or having fun. Friday night we caught a movie at the theater, seeing "21", it was pretty good but nothing to add to your DVD collection!

We also decided we have to bag our plans on Saturday to go to Mystic Seaport as we'd been planning for 2 weekends, again, due to weather. So I checked out some options, Bennington for the day (found out they have a festival I want to visit later this year so we skipped that idea), Marble Head (too cold still and most things are open yet)... we had to think of a place to go that we could hang indoors in case the rain the weatherman called for showed up (it never did!!!).

So we headed into Boston to visit the aquarium. E hadn't been for 20 years or more, I hadn't been for at least 15, so why not? We always wanted to head into Boston for a day or two, ever since we met, but always felt conflicted doing that for us with so many family members in town. We were worried people wouldn't understand a vacation getaway in Boston, so we always skipped it.

We wound up at the aquarium for a bit (who knew how small it really was compared to the Baltimore Aquarium!) and headed over the Fenuil Hall/Quincy Market for the afternoon. It was a beautiful day though, lots of fun having a date at the aquarium and a wonderful late lunch outside at Quincy Market, treating myself to a lobster roll!




The pictures and movies are from the aquarium, both of us fascinated as we watched this one huge turtle in the main tank go from an inpersonation of dead to gracefully floating and swimming through the tank like a large bird slowly taking off for flight. It was awesome. Only topped by the jellyfish display downstairs (easily missed if you don't go through the 'reentry' section). I've included videos of both.





What I just can't understand is why the heck to Boston Aquarium, on a weekend wasn't swamped? Don't get me wrong, it was busy and there were lines outside, but nothing like the hell that is the National Aquarium at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. They don't compare. If we were in Baltimore we would have had timed entry, likely waiting 1-3 hours just to get in, and once in we would have been wall to wall people walking through like we were all trying to leave at the end of rock concert. It's why we refused to entertain guests in our later Baltimore years on a Sat or Sun at the Aquarium, we'd drop them off, or go on a weekday but never a weekend. It just seems sort of strange to me. People who've spent lots of time at both places know this isn't just a function of 'this weekend', nope, there's something about the Inner Harbor that just draws the masses.

Either way, it was an awesome weekend as we reminisced over former date days, agreeing we need to do more of this and struggling for ways to get out of the house in the winter.

We also chatted about Magpie, how great it would be then to see life through her eyes. We decided we get a family pass her first year or two down at the Mystic Aquarium followed by Sturbrige/Mystic Seaport in later years and she grew into those places. We cannot wait, literally, for those days to come.

6 comments:

C's Mom said...

The aquarium near me (Newport) is really nice but also no comparison to Baltimore.

I'm simply a fan of the jellyfish and the penguins anyway so I get my fix. Just as you said, I can't wait to see it through my kiddos eyes. I haven't been in a couple of years and won't be going back until my wee chiquita is home.

comingaroundagain said...

I love the video clips - the turtle and of course the jellyfish.

Cavatica said...

Hmmmm, lobster roll! I love Inner Harbor.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Can't believe that I haven't visited you in such a long time... just been so busy with work etc and trying to catch up with everyone... I just love Boston... very easily go there again... take care and love the movies too...

monkey said...

every time i come to your site i get a utter feeling of relaxation and happiness. love your pics and vids they were great. my partner and i have those days but we like to shut ourselves away from everyone with some movies and loads of crisps(chips).
it a shame about the comment but i too have issues with family and friends and its even worse when they cant admit it, but hey life is to short.

Lost and Found said...

Sounds like a great "date" MP and I had our third date at the Norwalk Aquarium. Every time I see a walrus I get all misty and think of him. Hope you had a blast. :-)