Monday, April 07, 2008

lemons and life

They say when life hands you lemons you make lemonade.

Aren't there more options though? Can't you make lemon chiffon, or lemon bars, or lemon martini's, or lemon cake, or lemon chicken, or lemon drops? Is your only choice really to make lemonade?

I was recently involved in two conversations in the work place about having children and getting married, mainly just revolving around 'making plans'. Each of the individuals talking about planning for the future, whether in getting married, meeting someone or having kids. I laughed a bit when I said "don't bother making plans, life has a way of changing far from what you ever thought would happen". At the time we had a good laugh, but with the luxury of my drive on the way home I got the chance to think.

My drive consists of around 10 miles of highway (opposite the traffic) and around 20 miles of back roads, country roads, twisty turny winding roads past a lake, through a mountainous region, it's awesome. And it gives me the luxury of clearing the work cobwebs out of my head as I drive to and from work, as I see the fog clear off the lake on cool mornings, or snow hanging like cotton puffs from fir trees.

So last Friday I thought about these conversations. I thought about the things I had planned for my life before I met E and the things we planned together after we met.

My plan growing up was to get married, start a family and have my last (either 2nd or 3rd) child before I was 30. I met E when I was 31. Go figure.

Plan A shot to hell.

After our first (private) wedding we started to try to have kids, figuring we'd wait till a few month before the big family wedding that way I wouldn't be obviously pregnant as we walked down the aisle, cause you know, we'd just have to quit the BC pills and just like that we'd get pregnant. HA. We started in Feb of 2002, we planned to have 2 kids and would have them close together due more so to our ages and life dreams.

Plan B shot to hell.

And to make a long story short our paths took us on a journey to China, one we planned would be finished in 2007, 1 year after it started, followed by the mandatory 1 year wait between and then another one year wait for the second child. So by 2009 we'd have the 2 children we dreamed of. It's now 2008 and well, somehow continued planning just hasn't been fruitful.

Plan C shot to hell.

What we've finally accepted is that our second adoption will not come from China, this is disheartening. E and I came to grips with this decision over the holidays and to say we had a hard time with it is an understatement. We both greatly mourned that our 2 children would not share their homeland, that we would not be making 2 trips to China for children. Both E and I shed a tear over this discussion.

But we learned the lesson that life continues to shed some light on. That all the planning in the world doesn't really matter, sometimes fate is more important.

As such, you should always be prepared to dig deep into your life recipe book and make something out of those lemons, only time will tell what recipe we select to handle the change to Plan C. Perhaps some day we'll share.

8 comments:

C's Mom said...

What a great post about making the most of what life tosses you way.

Planning, hah!

My childhood plan was to be a SAHM with 5 kids by the time I was an old woman of 30. Then there was the teen dream of 'no kids' and living large until I became 'old' at 35.

Now, here I am...still not old (that definition will always be older than me) and still waiting to get started on my own. It's all good!

Colleen said...

Is this the plan I know? Or don't know? I'm confused.

I like the thought of a lemon martini...perhaps with lemon chicken?

Anne Marie said...

While we all have separate experiences, I know most of us have some big plan that was shot to hell and can relate in some way...heck, NEVER would I have thought I would be married only two months before my 40th birthday. I was miserable in my search for someone between ages 28-38, but now I see that life happened the way it happened and it is OK...I am sorry for yet another plan shot to hell, but am so looking forward to your recipe...

Michele said...

Sometimes you get the very best "results" from veering off the "recipe". It is so hard to find the light inside every dark hole, but it is usually there.

A beautiful post as always. You should think of writing as your new career.

Hugs!

Kathryn said...

Well said Lisa!!!!!!!!! God knows many of my "plans" shot to hell also. Reminds me of that John Lennon song with the line in it "Life is what happens while your busy making plans"
One of the most difficult things I have found is letting go of "my" plans and accepting someone else's plans. I love what you said about making something other than lemonade, honestly never have been a big fan of lemonade either.
I'm sorry your plans have not worked out the way you wanted. It sounds like you and E are going to be such great parents!!!!!!!!!! I often think of all of the waiting families and it breaks my heart that there are so many wonderful people out there ready to love a child and it is so difficult to make that dream come true.

Samantha said...

My plans were defnitely shot to Hell I was going to be married by 21 have children by 22 and live happily ever after as a stay at home Mom. Instead I broke it off with my frst love at 21 and spent no lie 10 years being bitter and miserable about it. I wasn't open to meetng anyone and passed/turned away many nice men. I didn't meet my husband until 34 and let me just say it hasn't been easy is a major understatement. Where the hell is my White Night who wears the pants and loves to support me? Instead I pay 1/2 of most of the bills and the ones I don't my husband resents me for. Even though I do it so I can be home with OUR child two days a week. AAGGGHH ok so this post was read on one of the not so good days. The reality is I love my daughter more than life itself, most days I love my husband. I definitely love my step chldren and although it was not my original plan at least it is an interestng and wild ride. How boring would life be if everythng went according to plan. I can honestly say I am grateful for all the twists and turns as they have made me who am today. It could have been worse. I am grateful for every moment even the miserable ones. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger so they say.

wzgirl said...

Yes. Now I *know* you're up to something. Hope it is going well. xo

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

I have always said that life is a mystery... you just never know what is around the corner... yep, you can plan until the cows come home but chances are that it isn't going to turn out that way... I never in my wildest dreams was going to move to the US and look where I ended up... my big plan was to go to England... life long dream... one day I will get there but look where I have been now... never planned it but tons of places throughout the US, Hawaii, Argentina, Uruguay, Italy and soon China... never ever in my dreams... so as you see I agree 110% that life doesn't go the way you plan it... besides... Enjoy Life. This is not a dress rehearsal... take care