My first camera? One of those small rectangular box-y things (it was a kodak I think) where you have to advance the film by cranking the handle. And then before I graduated high school I bought my first real one. A Canon. And it was not an automatic. Everything I did was manual on it, it sort of helped me learn to frame things quickly so as not to miss action shots, and that camera also took awesome fireworks shots.
6 years ago I bought the first model of the Canon Digital Rebel along with a zoom lense. 6 years in digital SLR's is a long time. So I've been contemplating a new camera for a while. But alas, right now is not that time. I am holding out for the furnace to make it through the winter and it's 33rd or 34th birthday so that in the spring I can give it a proper burial.
My current project? Well it's 2-fold.
I'm learning to look at the world in black and white in order to learn how to shoot photos with strong contrast or shading. And I am going to take the open staircase and use the winding walls (it's a large spiral) as a gallery of sorts. The picture doesn't do the space justice, but there's a vaulted tall space that's wide open as you walk up. Perfect for very large displays rather than just 5x7's or 8x10's. I've been picking up large frames on sale from Michael's one at a time. All black frames, many different dimensions but they have this cohesive feel, with wide, thick frames. Someone recently suggested using a silver pen to write the location and year on the frame. It's an interesting idea.
I've slowly been selecting photos for the wall, but I also need to take a look at the ones stored on my external hard drive from the last few years. This will be a nice springtime project... right after I paint the downstairs for the 3rd time in a year. Hoping this last color choice is one I can live with!!!
Stay Tuned.

3 comments:
I will love to see what photos you choose. And I can't imagine you painting that stairway....you don't like to paint and it is really high. Good lcuk with that.
That space is gorgeous! Love the staircase.
I'm guilty of not visiting in a LONG time. You should totally join ClickinMoms. It's my hobby haven and I'm learning a lot. They're also always good for a whose having what sale on cameras, etc. There's also a buy/sell section for great deals. I'll have to catch up a little here but glad you've kept up the blog
Post a Comment