We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
I've often said I am eternally grateful to have grown up where I did. While certainly there are many other wonderful nations out there I would have experienced a similar life in, sadly there are many in which I would not.
We have enjoyed so much freedom for so long that we are perhaps in danger of forgetting how much blood it cost to establish the Bill of Rights. ~Felix Frankfurter
In the most difficult moments of life I find a way to remind myself of the things to be thankful for. They relate to health, freedom, education and economics.
We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken
I work with an individual who's family fled war in the former Yugoslavia. It's one of the things I can't fathom, growing up or raising a family in a time of war. Your future unknown, your (political and/or religious) freedom and safety built on fragile ground. Do you stay and hold onto all you've ever known as your world crumbles all around you and life as you know it disappears with each bomb, each bullet, each raid. Or, flee to unknown lands. Losing your history, your livelihood, your foundation, your language and starting all over again with abolutely nothing.
I cannot imagine the strength and vision it took to persevere and start all over again.
Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. --Albert Einstein
So I give thanks especially on this day, for the luck of growing up where I did. To my friend, a truly great person, I say:
živi za danas - stvori svoju vlastitu budućnost
live for today - create your own future
No comments:
Post a Comment