Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 3 Nanchang

I really enjoyed Beijing and I'm looking forward to Guangzhou too. Just cause it's all different everywhere.


I'm in Nanchang now and my first thoughts when I landed was how green it all was, how lush and of course how humid! My guide Shirley described the city as "old" and it definitely is, you can see the centuries of history in lots of different ways.

My hotel room overlooks this temple right smack in the middle of the commercial area. It's an odd contrast to see it all together.

Last night there were fireworks, of course, and I could hear people talking long into the night on the street. I honestly don't mind as I'm just trying my hardest to soak it all in. Tomorrow I head to the orphanage and the day after it's on to a temple nearby.
At some point I'll share more about the orphanage and the program there. To say she and I are fortunate that is where she came from is an understatement. They clearly love and cherish all of their kids and they are so incredibly healthy and full of life.

For me these are just some very laid back days, she and I both need it.

I'm grateful to travel without a big group as I have the guide to myself and she's wonderful. I do miss the friendship that would have evolved had I been in a group though. It's the good and the bad.

I'm learning what Ming needs and wants and I'm sure I have so much more to learn. A lifetime.

As for Nanchang, I'm not sure how to put it into words. It may never have been a city I would have chosen to visit and there are some comforts I miss from other cities, but this is the capital of the province she was born in. No matter what it's like, I pay respect to the area, to the people and will forever be indebted to those who brought me all this way.

A travel group at breakfast asked a bit about me and when I was logged in and they sort of wondered why so long to travel. I told my story, the 2 minute version and they were stunned. I'm still uncomfortable sharing any of the whole appeal process and the need for the appeal process, but I need to embrace it. Without that part of my story, Ming and I would never have been united.
One thing I've learned over the last few years is that everyone has a story, both in the world of adoption and outside of it. You can't reach this point in life without having had something meaningful to experience or without having some story to tell.  

It's a luxury to be travelling right now and to have time to listen to the story of others. It's also a luxury to see her open up at breakfast, to smile, to dance, to laugh.

3 comments:

comingaroundagain said...

Beautiful images here. I loved all the 'busy-ness' / activity going on in the cities in China - reminded me of a big party happening all the time.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

So incredibly happy for you... don't ever be sorry... hence the email... she is gorgeous... that little Magpie was a long time in flying to you :)

JMCS said...

So happy to see your beautiful daughter. It was a long time coming but it looks like it worked out perfectly. I am so happy for you.