Sunday, March 19, 2006

Billy Joel


Billy Joel happens to be just about my favorite musician. I grew up on him and have always adored his music, nearly all of which I can relate to in one way or another.

When his songs were used to create a Broadway musical a few years back I always wanted to go see it... but honestly, not enough to spend the day in NYC,it's just not my kind of town. As luck would have it, like most musicals, it hit the road, coming to a theater near us.

Last night we went to see the musical. I've been to many a musical growing up and this was different from all others, it was the first musical where the performers don't sing! yup, that's right, they don't sing... well, where does the music come from?


Rather than the band being in an orchestra pit, they are actually suspended aboe the stage towards the back and are incorporated as part of the show. A "paino man", horns, drums, guitars, etc all in a "cage" elevated and lighted.

The story line was neat and used many of my favorites and one song I had never heard, took me by surprise. It also used one of my favorites, one rarely played on air, Summer Highland Falls.

Would we go again, yup, that's for sure. With Billy Joel actually touring the area this spring I hope to snag some tickets to see him, last concert we went to was in DC, Elton John/Billy JOel combined tour, that was fun too.

Funniest line of the night from E, in reponse to the scene involving the guy back from the war, addicted to drugs and living the life of prostitution, drugs, transvestites, etc, to the tune of "Captain Jack"...

"That was the cleanest porn I've ever seen"

All just part of counting down the weekends till our daughter comes home... 1 down 50 or 60 more to go.

No comments: