I was going to wait a bit to bring up a post like this but I couldn't after I got an email from a friend at work letting me know that the annual art auction is going on at Love Without Boundries.
WHAT IS LOVE WITHOUT BOUNDRIES?
Love Without Boundaries is a worldwide group of volunteers who donate time and resources in an attempt to brighten the lives of orphaned children in China. 98.3% of donations make it to orphanage, only 1.7% are for expenses. Another organization, Half The Sky, is very similar.
WHY DOES THIS MATTER TO ERIC AND I?
Our child or the child of someone we know may be helped by your kindness and generosity.
WHAT'S SO IMPORTANT ABOUT FOSTER CARE?
For children in orphanages, developmental delays are common, estimated at 1 month for every 3 months in an orphanage. Most children are around a year old when adopted, that means developmentally they are about 8-9 months along.
Caregiver to orphan ratios can be 1:15 or 1:20 or higher in many orphanages. One on One time is rare. Foster Care ratios are 1:5 or less. Children from foster care tend to bond faster and more deeply with their new parents from what I've read, they are also further along developmentally.
SO HOW MUCH $$$$ ARE WE REALLY TALKING ABOUT?
I guess a good question is, how much do you spend on Lattes, Super Duper Coffee, the latest 'cool shirt', take out food/delivery, etc per month or per week? I bet you spend a lot more than it would take to sponsor an activity, for instance:
Foster Care = $25-35.00 per month, through Love Without Boundaries.
Foster Care = $25.00 per month, through Half The Sky.
So you see, you CAN make a difference and you might just make a difference in our lives.
I know it's unlikely many people will take the time to click on the links or donate what little it takes to sponsor a foster care situation, but if we make a difference for one child in China, that's all that matters, this post was worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment