The movers arrived on Thursday and at first glance things seemed ok with the move. The normal amount of things broken... that was until we really started unpacking. here's the low down so far...
- washer and dryer look like the Captain's control panel on Star Trek after a Klingon Battle. and they make new and interesting noises.
- a hand made cradle from my pop, one I insisted they pack and box (wasn't) got, hmmm, how shall I say, damaged... we're not talking scratches folks
- the antique sofa from my nana, the wood trim on the top is all screwed up
- the battleship of a sofa, weighs more than a sumo wrestler at a hot dog eating contest and has survived unscathed 3 moves, well, the frame was 'cracked'...I'm being kind
- The DVD player, only 2 months old prior to the move... can't show a movie without stopping 10-20 times.
- dovetails on our master bedroom highboy dresser... no longer dovetails... how exactly do you destroy those?
- dining room table leaves... scratched to hell, seriously, they we're packed, wrapped or protected.
- I could go on and on, trust me on this folks
Other than that... we have a phone, NO KIDDING. But it wasn't without a struggle, even after the last time. Technician after technician, 4 total, and many pissed off calls by E and I finally resulted in phone service Friday night at around 7PM. Each technician is only authorized to do certain jobs... so the efficiency of giant corporations is not a lie folks.
but we have no internet... something went 'wrong'. The technician is out next Sunday to look at it.
so, I"ve been out of touch, missing the Yahoo boards, missing email, missing it all. Internet, what a fascinating thing and yet it can totally consume you eh?
2 comments:
wow, sounds like everything that could happen did. I'm sorry to hear about all the scratched and destroyed stuff. The last time that movers packed and moved us I think we may have got a few scratches, but nothing serious. Just wait till you get all settled and life is back to normal...your almost there! :)
L & B, I am so sorry to hear of all of your mover troubles. This is why I am thankful that my daddy taught me well how to pack. He is a mover, formerly households now big important stuff (like MRI machines) and I used to spend summer vacations on the truck learning. I won't let a mover pack my stuff. Thank you, but I will do it myself. And I've never had this kind of damage in 13 moves.
it really stinks that they talk up a storm about how careful they will be with your precious things and then just throw it any which way they want on the truck, and later in their warehouse. I pray that everything is either repairable or replacable. Go after them for everything, that is what they have insurance for.
Have fun unpacking and enjoying your new house. Your April secret pal.
Post a Comment