Friday, October 20, 2006

My online dating experience -sort of!

So, I have met a number of cool, wonderful, incredible, real, funny, good people online through this adoption process. Unfortunately, that's just it, I've only met these wonderful people online... until this morning!

HOld your horses for this one. On Monday, I'm trading emails with M from one of my Yahoo groups, we've gotten to know each other over the last few weeks after one of those 'APC style incidents'... I can explain it if someone doesn't know what those things are!

So here's how the conversation goes in a few emails:

I'm out of town later this week for work, house unpacking is busy... yada yada yada (me)
I'm doing well, heading out for vacation to Arizona this week. (M)
Arizona? No kidding, I'm going to Arizona this week.
(freaky huh?)
I'm connnecting through airport "A"
I'm connecting through airport "A"
I leave at 7:15 AM.
I arrive at 5:00 AM (red eye, wiped me OUT). Depart at 7:30 AM for home.
Let's meet up.
Cool.


So after much downloading of online airport maps (the concourses might as well have been in separate towns, it took 25 minutes to reach the right place!!!), consulting of people, wrangling of schedules, I met "M" (she's private and I didn't want to mention more than an initial!) at the airport and had pastries at Starbucks with her. We had just an hour together and it was quite COOL. It's amazing the information you can cover in 1 hour (by the way M, thank you so very much for asking about the upcoming anniversary in November, we'll honor her somehow... not sure though).

Funny that as we were trading cell phones in the airport figuring out who needed to go through security and who didn't, M asked what I was wearing, I asked the same. She laughed, "this is like a blind date"!

It really was like that. Meeting a virtual (pun intended) stranger for real. I was sweating it, I don't like small talk, I stink at it and I soooo was hoping she was as cool as a few other people we've been fortunate enough to meet online through this process. she is a very cool person, funny, down to earth, not stuffy, just fun.

M, it was great meeting you, now that I'm over my jitters of online dating... I mean online waiting parents getting-to-know-you, I can't wait to catch up, IN PERSON with some of the others I've met. Maybe somehow there might be a way without blowing vacation time that's all too precious for everyone with a China trip in the not so distant future (a girl can hope right?)

For those of you with the slightest chance of coordinating schedules, overlapping events or vacations. I highly recommend it, this is what life is all about. Finding people you connect with, and then connecting with them. Like other great women I've met online through adoption, my world gets a little bigger, a little brighter, just fuller I guess.

(one more cool thing... E and I share the same LID as M... COOLLLLLLL)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was way too cool. It is great that you got to meet her. Since we are now so much closer to you than when you were in MD, it will be easy to finally meet in person. The big question is...shoudl we wait until we get to reveal who we are? LOL. We can't wait to meet you both in person. We hope you are having fun unpacking. Have a great weekend! Your April secret Pal

Anonymous said...

Hi there from "M" (tee hee hee)! Love this post! I feel the same way. It was so wonderful to meet you and to find that connecting in person was so easy. So much better than 99% of my blind dates with men (lol). Looking forward to the rest of our adventure.
"M"