Sunday, December 17, 2006

New Holiday Traditions?

We've been a bit of a hobo family on the holidays. Drive here, drive there, camp at home for once every so often.

But we have few of our own traditions, as in our own family traditions. We talk every so often about these things but this recent talk was different. We received a gift earlier this past week from a dear family we're friends with.

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra, The Christmas Trilogy, which includes 3 of their CD's along with a DVD they did called The Ghosts of Christmas Eve. If you haven't heard their music, you must, it's really wonderful, a 60 peice orchestra along with rock and pop performers and singers. They do a lot to expand the more traditional music they play. Their website is below:

Trans-Siberian Orchestra Website Link

So we watched the DVD on Saturday morning and loved every second of it. E was literally wrapped up in it, as in "shhhh, I'm listening". Both of us wanting it to go on longer when it was over and agreeing that we finally need to go see them in concert. They tour every holiday season.

And there in lies a tradition we talked about. We do the more traditional holiday 'tours', such as the Symphony playing Pops, the Nutcracker, etc, so it's not such a far stretch, we've just never settled on 'our thing' to do each year. But this year we talked about how our tradition when Magpie comes would be to watch this DVD on Christmas Eve, by the fire, eating homemade cookies and sipping cocoa or hot apple cider, then letting her pick a present to open when it was all over.

Perhaps, we'll finally start anually doing the Tree Trimming Party we held that year and loved too.

Magpie, nearly every week someone we care about talks about you, asks about you, in addition, we talk about you with each other. Waiting for you to come home is so hard, it's lonely at times and we wonder how long it's really going to take. When you finally do come home I know it will be like everything that's been in limbo for us will start to take shape, our own family will have been born and with it, our traditions will begin too. Where ever time leads us, we take solice in the fact that we'll be a family.

Till you come home, we'll keep you close in our thoughts. YOu cannot imagine how close you are to us, in our hearts, our minds, in what we plan for the future and how we've learned to think about all the present world currently holds. You are in essence a guiding force for us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband has said several times in the past 2 weeks that our daughter 'can never say that she was not wanted!' As for me, I don't think I have ever felt more blessed (yes, I have had issues with using this terminology in the past, but now, I really feel this way - and I feel like saying it!) as I do right now. . . thanks in large part to this whole incredible adoption process. Sometimes I almost feel guilty that not everyone will know this experience.

I have one song by the TranSiberian Orchestra on my iPod - but that's all. Very upbeat (The March of the Kings). I've never seen any of their DVD's.

Anonymous said...

We're seeing TSO on Thursday, we can't wait!

My favorite of their albums is Beethoven's Last Night--if you haven't heard it--get it. It's wonderful.

Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I also have been thinking about traditions. We have some, but it is never at our house.

I have been dreaming of the day, we wake up, at our house, walk out to the living room and see all the presents from Santa. I can't wait to see Katy's face when she sees that.

One tradition I have started is buying an ornament each. But they have to signify something that has happened that particular year. I think this is neat and will tell our family story. So far I have two.

Merry Christmas.
Brigit

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to start new traditions with Jade someday!

It is so overwhelming sometimes to think about how much our daughter is with us and a part of our lives, and she may not even be born yet. It's something I don't think many people who aren't part of an adoption journey can really comprehend because it's so hard to put into words.

Anonymous said...

We saw TSO live last year LOVED IT! Awesome Show and music!