Friday, January 26, 2007

Questions

From time to time we're asked a few routine questions, from when will you go to China? How is the adoption going? to the one I've had an easy time answering until this month "do you ever stop and wonder if she's born yet?".

The quick answer was always easy "no, I don't think she has been born". In the past I based that answer on the long long wait ahead, that at any point in time always seemed to be 'more than a year' to go, we said that every month, and even now it may still be true. So it was easy to think Magpie had not yet been born.

But now it's different. In my head when I think of this question a few things happen. First, it's likely we have about a year left for a referral, so it's very possible she's been born, sure, some babies are 6 months at referral, others 16 months at referral, but most 10-12 months. So yes, I've started to think she could be born. The other thing that is most striking is the transformation of the image in my head. I could always picture us with a child, playing, traveling, just being a family.

But a few weeks ago, that image in my head became that of a Chinese girl, with almond shaped eyes, and dark, straight, thick hair. Her eyes deep and beckoning, drawing you into her heart and soul. Things have certainly changed, for until now I didn't really have a 'clear' image of a child, in fact, there never was a face associated with all my thoughts.

I wonder often about Magpie, I get anxious when I think of the day we first meet her, the day we start our own family. This thought, it fills me with emotion every time, it's something I have a hard time expressing in any way but on paper. I get choked up, the lump forms in my throat, sometimes my eyes even well up. I can picture her being handed to us, the joy, the tears, the emotion. I know that my thoughts of this moment will not compare to how overwhelming it will be, but it is a deep deep thought, even now.

I think of the early days, how she'll bond to us, how we'll do thousands of miles from all we know, on the day our daughter joins our family. Can you imagine what this moment will be for your families as your child is received? Can people around us even imagine what that roller coaster of 2 weeks will be like? It is hard to imagine, that's for sure. It will one day be our reality and I have trouble envisioning what that time in China will be like.

But for now, I take incredible solice in the image in my head of Magpie, her eyes, her deep soul, her smile... Somehow I think that she may now be born and that is a thought that fills me with joy and incredible sorrow all at once. She'd have lost one family and not yet joined ours, she is in between her past and her future and that I think is quite sad and overpowering. I wish her warmth, love, happiness, security... I wish her a lack of hunger and to be surrounded by people who truly care about her. I hope she is transitioned from an orphanage to a foster/nanny. I hope so much for her, long before we ever meet her.

You're in our thoughts Magpie and the vision of you is in my mind so often. You seem far away and oh so close at times...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get emotional when I think about that moment as well. Sometimes I can imagine it, and other times it feels so difficult to even grasp because I know I will be feeling something like nothing I've ever felt before.

wzgirl said...

That is so awesome, girl! Love that things are feeling more and more real to you.

TBG Happenings said...

Isn't unbelievable how we can miss someone we have never set eyes our eyes on??!! We talk about our little one like she is in the next room.....I sometimes am convinced we have lost our minds!!! I can't even imagine the moment she is put in my arms.

Beautifully written..,

maryellen

Anonymous said...

I was nodding the entire time I read your post. I remember clearly feeling all of those things. I actually wrote it down in a journal for Lily, and the month I THOUGHT she was probably born ended up being, in fact, the month she was born. Document all this stuff -- it will be so neat to look back at it once you have your daughter...
And, you're right, NOTHING can prepare you for what it will actually be like on that day when you meet her face to face, but the dreaming about it before hand is a wonderful and sweet thing that you will also never forget...it is all part of this incredible process!
(Sorry, I don't mean to go on and on.)

Karen said...

I think the same things more and more lately. I truely hope and pray that it will not be another year for us. So true, that they seem so close yet far away.

Anonymous said...

I think the one of the most remarkable transformations for me (i.e. in my way of thinking about my child; or my desires or expectations) was when I realized that in any dreams (I've been into dreams lately too - ha!) I had of our daughter / child, she was Chinese. That has been wild. Never before was I drawn to Chinese / Asian children or it's people or learning about that country until we chose this path.