Wednesday, January 24, 2007

What's in a name?

Intriguing question, "what's in a name?". Names are something E and I have had a hard time deciding on.

Nickname: Magpie

Meaning:
In Chinese folklore, or perhaps more appropriately, culture, the Magpie is a symbol of luck, of happiness and especially of good fortune. These things don't even begin to describe the way we feel about Magpie, but they are a start. I did a post on this a long time ago and it's worth a read, see the link below, it's got a beautiful feeling to it:

Post on Magpie's name

We're still kicking around her formal names though. There are definitely favorites but for the most part neither one of us agrees on any, the ones I adore E is at best, indifferent! Just the other day I said I'd strike a deal with him, if our referral comes at any point in 2007, I name her, no questions asked, if our referral comes in 2008, then "we'll see what happens", E thought this might not be a balanced deal... but I think if magpie grows up to dislike her first name, then E is in like flynn and can say he wanted to name her something cool like "Piper" but mommy wouldn't let him :) .

Potential Names on MY list!:
Quinn -living like kingship, descendent of Cuinn (who?)
Vanessa -Butterfly
Isabella -My god is a vow
Zoe -Life
Sabrina/Sabine -Of the Sabine tribe
Helen/Helene -Torch, Bright
Margeaux -Pearl
Addison -Son of Adam
Zora -Sunrise
Alexandra -Defender of Men
Julia/Juliette -From the family name Julius
Sarah -Princess
Margaret -Pearl
Cadence -rhythm

Her middle name will of course carry part of the name (first/middle combined) given to her at the Orphanage, that name is one of the few things she'll have when we bring her home, it's a tie, a link, to her past AND her present and future, we cannot and will not deny her that link.

I blogged more about it in this post from months ago. Names, in the Chinese culture and your link to your past, your lineage so to speak, is more important that we can imagine based on the culture we were raised in. Here's the link to that post below:

Post on value of family names in China

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, my vote is for Addison Julia, or Cadence. Love those!

Anonymous said...

I also spent MUCH time making lists upon lists of potential names for our daughter. Ultimately, it was sooo clear what her name was going to be and my husband and I were in total agreement on it... I hope that this happens for you!
P.S. I love the names you have chosen. (Several of them were actually on my final list. My favorite being Quinn.)
Happy name hunting!

Anonymous said...

Love Margaux, as I've mentioned before. Addison was very high on my list, too. Good luck getting in sync with Eric. Hope he figures out that he should let you pick (lol).

Anonymous said...

Oooh - this is tough. (Actually, I like the name Piper but Ed would have none of that). Of the ones you mentioned, I love - Quinn, Isabella (one of my favorites), Zoe, Sabrina, Zora, Alexandra, Julia (another favorite) . . . Margaret is good; really all of them are good. So, I'm not much help here. Of course, Sarah is always good ;-)

Ed is now saying, to my dismay, that he won't know what he will 'really' call our daughter until he meets her!! His mom was one that gave him a name but then called him by a nickname (shortened form of Theodore, the name that she really wanted to give him). It's a name that I do not prefer. That's what happening here on the namefront.

Anonymous said...

Lots of great names here, but I've always really loved the name Quinn. It was on my list, but sadly, I didn't think it quite went with Riley's last name. If I'd used my maiden name it would have sounded better!

Anonymous said...

How could you have possibly known that I've been mulling a post about this very same thing for my blog for at least a week now? You must by psychic. You beat me to it but I hope you won't mind if I still my own version of what's in a name on my blog.

One of your choices is on my list too (Julia or Julianna). And another of your choices is DH's one and only choice (Sarah). He is sticking by his pick and I have to find a way to get him to compromise.

The "Make A Deal" with the husbands to make a final choice for all of us should certianly be worthy of a new game show. LOL

Have a great day! Your April Secret Pal

Anonymous said...

Cadence is very nice!!