Monday, April 16, 2007

Stars Aligning?

So, here's a recap for the folks playing at home:

New Rules to adopt
Wait goes from a steady 6 month to 10 to 13 to 17 to likely 2 years
Timeline looking to come very close, to the Beijing Olympics

And for the icing on the cake:

White Swan Hotel to Close for 10-Month Renovation
Updated Apr 12 2007 23:19:03 Beijing Time


Source: www.lifeofguangzhou.com

The White Swan Hotel in Guangzhou will embark upon a 10-month renovation this December, after the recent approval from Guangdong Provincial Government.

The five-star hotel plans to close its business entirely during the large-scale renovation, which will cost 530 million yuan (67.9 million USD).

The facade, rooms, lobby, air-conditioning systems, power supplies and parking lots will all be renovated. A new 1,000-square-meter convention center and a multi-floor underground parking lot will be built.

Following the re-development, rooms will be larger, but somewhat fewer than the present 843.

The renovation designers are the ones who drafted the original design of the White Swan Hotel some twenty years ago, in order to maintain the style continuity.

The hotel is the fourth five-star hotel in the city to undergo significant renovations in recent years, following the Dong Fang, Garden and China hotels, following increasingly severe competition in the top-end hotel business, with more premium hotels entering the Guangzhou market.

(By Ronald Li and David Kelleway)


Sure, there are other hotels on the island and no, this hotel isn't located right next to the US consulate anymore, but for many this is all part of the experience, the white swan stay. It's likely that hotel rates in and around will be driven up as a result of supply and demand. Though many dislike the White Swan for all it's garishness, it is an experience, or so I've heard.

personally we were torn between the White Swan and the Victory, each having some great features... looks a little easier to choose now huh?

10 comments:

C's Mom said...

Another bit of delightful news. Gack!

Anonymous said...

I hate to see the glass as half empty, but come on already! So we will wait longer than could have ever imagined, maybe miss the Beijing part of the adventure because of the olympics, and now no red couch poses or Barbie. I hate to sound like a baby, but THIS IS SO NOT FAIR!

wzgirl said...

Wow. What a trip.

Anonymous said...

I cringe to think of what news could possibly come next! Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Oh for pete's sake. Think the Swan will lend the Victory the red couch? Damn, I was so looking forward to finding a rockin' little outfit for the couch photo.

walternatives said...

Maybe we could pack a red sheet and make red couches anywhere and everywhere.

TBG Happenings said...

will the fun ever end....???

I had heard this rumor and did not want to believe it! UGH!!!

TBG Happenings said...

I just shared this news with my hubs....his response "WTF???!!? ugh c,mon!! That is fine...screw that adoption experience! F*^@...screw the red couch photo...we will start something new! Great whats next??!!n What ever....I don't give a shit where we stay, I just would like to get our girl before the renovations a the WS are finished!" LOL I can always count on him to make me laugh. Who wants to meet at the bar at the Victory?!

4D said...

That sucks! We Canadians head to Beijing but I would love to stay at the WS.

Keep smilin!

Anonymous said...

Who needs that place. We will stay cheaper somewhere else.