(Friends and family of the non-adoption variety that is, may not understand this post, except for Karen as she's read Emma Bug and The Naked Ovary)
When I first started reading blogs, there were 3-4 I spent a lot of time reading, each of them for different reasons. And I stayed true to each and every one of these blogs, at least as long as I allowed.
Naked Ovary, for her honesty, her willingness to go into the danger zone with the topics she'd approach, for her journey, some of it inspired me to get back to living. I know the masses, literally the masses, read her blog, she was popular and perhaps for me the first time in my life I was part of the 'the masses', normally I'm an outsider looking in. The day her blog ended publicly I learned the term "trainwreck" and it's connotation on the WWW, it's a ruthless game by those online with not a thing better to do.
Coming Around Again, we walked some of the same shoes, understood life, love and unfortunately loss and she let me lean on her through many an email over the last year as I poured my heart out. Her way with words, her depth of writing and of character, she's been inspirational in a soul searching way. I can only hope I've provided her half the comfort and support that she's provided to me. The hat she knitted for Magpie is one of the first gifts that Magpie received, it will be my honor to tell Magpie about my friendship with S.
So it's come down to this, well, I started reading his blog about 6 months ago, certainly not as long as most, but I wasn't big on blog surfing. I have my favorites, maybe a dozen or so I check regularly, I rarely link to the links on other people's sites. But one day I came across Johnny and well, sounds like a theme is developing here, I liked his honesty. The stories about his background, his parents and the impact or lack of impact on his life and the life of his kids. He brought a sense and understanding quite unique but not so far fetched as to be unreasonable.
Hmmm, Emma Bug. The woman who gave my site meter a heart attack each and every time she quoted me or linked to me. Both a thrill to be thought highly of and always a surprise, though I'm not sure why. I loved her snark, her wit, her outrage, her willingness to shout out to those in need. Her willingness one day to give me a reference to a person in the adoption community who might be able to help a family in need. She made a difference that day. I loved learning about her background, her very own story of creating a family, her trials and tribulations. She made me laugh and open up a bit more on this blog too. Thank You Steph, the emails over the last few months have been uplifting too.
Each one of these people gave me perspective, a place to feel at home, a place to question my own thoughts, to develop a greater insight, to laugh, to cry, to smile, to frown. And I have been sad to see Emma Bug, Johnny and The Naked Ovary all "shutdown", each for what are likely vastly different reasons. Though I'm glad I still have Coming Around Again, I know that one day it's doors are likely to close to.
So where are the Emma Bug's, So it's come down to this and the Naked Ovary's of tomorrow? What bloggers out there really fill these unique and wonderful shoes.
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? I'm open to suggestions folks. And Steph if you're reading this, here's looking at you kid and thanks for including me so closely on the ride. I'll miss you.
3 comments:
:-) lisa - here I am (I don't work tomorrow!) in the wee hours of morning reading your blog! You've been a treasure - and an impetus to 'comment' on others blogs (I'm a reserved person outside of this 'virtual' world, so it takes practice).
Check it dude! I am commenting. On your blog. For reals.
See that list of "Alts" over there? Those writers are the new NO's and EB's. This would include you. Anyway, we'll all be back at some point - we are bloggers after all.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go dick with people on APC.
There is a crazy lady out there who fits the mold for me.
love her...
Post a Comment