Sunday, May 13, 2007

Yardwork Therapy

Last year on Mother's Day I deeply mourned Sophia, barely getting out of bed, this year I approached it a lot differently. I still thought of Sophia and Magpie often this weekend, but I managed to put all that 'energy' into something else.

Here's my recipe for Mother's Day Mourning Therapy:

1. Work with E to layout on paper the plants we want in the landscaping beds, including the ones we can do this year and the ones we won't get to till much later. In total there are several beds along the front of the house (we're doing just one right now), 1 as a 'screen' along the fence by the driveway, some screening for the dogs pen, a far corner of the yard (which we're doing now), some clematis vines for another fence section... the list goes on. We've laid out most and will take them 1 project at a time.
2. Shop for plants at the local garden center for our empty yard.
3. Repeat step #2 at 3 more shops. Return to shops on Sunday to purchase plants.
4. Order clean fill for the planting beds, along with trees/shrubs not available yet. (everything is being delivered Monday)
5. Dig up big ass pile of crappy construction site dirt from the empty planting bed.
6. Bring dirt in the hauler on the back of the riding lawn mower to the space the dog kennel/pen is being built in. (needs major leveling).
7. shovel dirt out of hauler into "dog pen" space.
8. Repeat 5, 6 and 7 at least 10 times, totalling around 150 cubic feet, moved twice through the yard...
9. Buy big ass pile of shrubs, trees (being delivered, not in the picture to the right) and assorted flowering perennials.
10. Mow lawn.

Yup, working my "finely tuned winterized" body was a welcome event this weekend. Sure, not an hour went by that I didn't think of what this weekend is supposed to mean. But it was less painful. It also helped that E, a sister-in-law and a couple friends of ours sent Mother's Day cards, presents or simply wished me peace this weekend. It was a wonderful touch.

Thanks everyone, your thoughtfulness is not lost on me. It made a big difference.

5 comments:

comingaroundagain said...

Wonderful Mother's Day recipe!

The weather here was no less than perfect. One of our neighbors had their grandkids over and they all were having a blast having a picnic and running back and forth across the bridge over their creek. They have an outdoor fire pit - the smell reminded me of camping.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found a way to spend the day that helped you have some peace on this emotional day. You were in my thoughts today.
xoxo

C's Mom said...

Woohoo...tear it on up!

I've still got a big ass pile of gravel in my driveway from my therapeutic laying of pavers last spring. I have GOT to get rid of that mess. It looks like it needs an old broken toilet parked next to it at this point.

wzgirl said...

I find that mothering the earth brings me a whole lot of peace...watching the fruits of my labor grow and thrive is very satisfying!

You guys are so organized with the gardening, too, I am very impressed with your planning! Please post updated pics so we can see your blossoms, blooms and shoots. XO

walternatives said...

Gardening is the perfect Mother's Day recipe, I think. Planting is another manifestation of Hope - doing what you know to be right, tending and nurturing, having faith, knowing your efforts will blossom. Lovely post.