Saturday, June 09, 2007

Online Dating Part Trois

Yup, I'm at it again, another online dating folks.

Last time I met the fabulous "M" who hails on my blog roll at "Deep Tangents", a very cool, thoughtful, deep and funny cat, a wonderful person indeed, we live in different time zones, met while I was on a business trip and share (nearly) the same LID. Her friendship has been my honor I can only hope we meet up in China with our daughters and our extended families. The next online dating experience was at the shower of a wonderful woman, who recently completed their adoption of a son from Vietnam. Michele is an awesome person and has been incredibly supportive over the last year. She lives "nearby", actually 'just down the street' from my mom, which is pretty neat if you think about it.

This time, I met someone who, hold on to your hat, lives like 10 minutes from us. I met yet another fabulous mom to be, Sam, who comes to us from "Adopting Lily" on the blog roll. We met via the CT chapter ofl FCC (Families with Children from China) via their online links and have been corresponding for months, basically since we were hanging out at the not-so-holiday-inn last summer. I'm embarrassed to say it took me that long to meet her but in all honesty I forgot to email her back for many months last fall and winter when we were 'settling into' the new house.

While waiting to meet for lunch I did a 'little' shopping. First, you know how Spain has the Running of the Bulls, Macy's has the Running of the Brides (brides dress sale for those who live on Mars), well, there's a children's shop (Chidren's Orchard?) that has "Running of the Mom's". A couple times of year they allow you to pay $5/bag (it's a smallish bag though) and you can stuff all the consignment clothes possible into it. So I joined about 2 dozen other moms in this tiny store when it opened and came away with over 20 items for $15, not bad folks.


Then, to top it off, I indulged in some Bundt Pans. I love Bundt Pans. I can't tell you why, I honestly don't know, but I love them. For the last 2 years Williams Sonoma has been doing "seasonal" or whimsical bundt pans every few months and I have a few. The snowman ones, the train set, the pumpkin set... well, check out the awesome ones I just picked up. First, the cupcake set, looks just like ice cream cones when finished with a swirl of frosting on top, and then the bug set. How cute is that? (while there of course I also picked up some Margarita mix, who could resist the flavors?!!! -lemon and key lime, passion fruit)


When it was time for lunch, I met Sam at Ted's Montana Grill and had an awesome Swiss, Mushroom Bison burger. We chatted for hours, literally, she is an awesome person, one of those beautiful people inside and out and I was thrilled to have met another great person on this journey to Magpie. I hope that Sam becomes one of those "old friends" (not that she's "old" lol since we're nearly the same age) very quickly.


She allowed me to share in all of her referral paperwork, the Chinese documents, the translations, a local International Adoption Pediatrician referral too. We talked travel, and family and I felt honestly at home. I was thrilled to see all the paperwork and she even gave me photos of Lily which is cool, a picture for the fridge to take us through the many many months ahead.


They hope to travel in July as they received their referral in May and are just waiting for all of the final clearance. I look forward to the next time I see her and hopefully our husbands can meet soon too.

6 comments:

Samantha said...

Wow you are so sweet! I had a great time at lunch! It was truly awesome to meet you and I do feel we will be great friends! I felt so wonderfully comfortable with you and can not wait to see your photos from Belgium! I so need those bundt pans, Love them! I really hope Eric and Joe hit it off as well! Thanks again for all the great gifts! We will have to get together again soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, you are two timing me... Oh, actually, it's more like three timing. Luckily, I am not the jealous type. Glad your circle continues to grow.

Colleen said...

Hi - I found your blog thru Sam! She and I are travleing together to get our girls. I sure hope that things speed up for you, and I am sure that they will. Its nice to know of another family that will be near by.

Unknown said...

What a great blog..YOu have been busy and have been having fun!! Glad I visited!

Brigit & Dave said...

Lisa,

We now have to meet as well. Maybe in the next couple of weeks. I will email off line to try to set something up.

How fun is it to meet people you have a common bond with. And what a great bond it is. Sounds like you guys had a great lunch.

Talk to you soon.
Brigit

Colleen said...

Hi - I got your post for my blog - and now it is not showing up. I just wanted you to know I saw it and posted it - but blogger ate it.

Thank you for the kind post. I hope to meet you soon - since we live so close!!