Saturday, June 30, 2007

Plan B

Very late last year, when the CCAA was still referring 2 weeks of waiting parents every month, and there was a chance of our referral coming in 2007, we talked about a Plan B.

You know, plan B, as in, if we by some extreme chance didn't travel in 2007, what would we do with all the vacation time we were hoarding and had to "use it or lose it" in 2007? We scanned our list of places we hope to visit in our lifetime, it's a long list, we're both so intrigued by the world around us, the whole world, not just our 'backyard'. We found some places that Magpie may not be able to really enjoy for many years and out of that list we picked Germany.

We're in the midst of planning out our Plan B. We've gathered info on different market time lines, town info, other local places of interest. As of right now, we're slowly starting to put the puzzle together and are zeroing in on flying into Munich and basing most of our stay in that 'area'. Traveling some of the romantic road, heading into Austria to see Salzburg and Innsbruck, perhaps some of the lakeland area in Bavaria too.

That time of year can be and should be magical and for years it hasn't been for us. We've mourned, we've struggled, we've managed to survive the holiday seasons, but it should be about so much more than survival, perhaps this trip will enable us to take another step towards doing something besides just surviving. To be able to enjoy the beauty of winter, the holidays, etc. We aren't overly religious but winter holds a special place, the joy in a child's eyes, the beauty of a tree decorated with memories of your lifetime, your parents, grandparents and even greatgranparents. The smell of mulling spices, the newly fallen snow, a child's first snowflake on the nose, snowangel or snowman... these are just a few of the splendors that the holidays can hold.

Most of the Christmas Markets in Germany, France, England, Czech Republic and Austria mark the start of Advent, the tradition dates back more than 600 years in some parts of Europe. This years Christmas Market season runs roughly from mid to late November through to Christmas Eve. Though linked to Advent, I learned that advent is not only a 24 day calendar, it can, depending on the interpretation and religion in question be as much as 40 days long.

In researching it I found that the markets date back to a time when regular seasonal markets took place throughout Europe (something I love about visiting Europe), they were a time to bring your goods, to trade, to bring light to the very long winter nights. Each market can have it's own unique theme or flair, dating to a time when only local merchants were allowed to sell their wares, giving it a regional character. The types of things you find at a Christmas Market in Germany for instance include hand painted glass ornaments, pewter ornaments, wood carved items, nutcrackers, smokers, nativity scenes, toys, shows, live music and choirs. There's plenty of food, breads, cakes, like Stollen, baked apples, gingerbread, roasted nuts, deep friend cakes and adult items like mulled spiced wine, sometimes with a shot of brandy!

We've talked often about Germany and I struggle with the idea of visiting both an immensely beautiful (people, buildings, land) place and one so intertwined with tragedy, each major world power/nation has, over time, committed crimes of atrocity, this one at the top of the list. We have yet to decide if we'll visit Dachau (a former concentration camp close to Munich) but it is on my mind. Honestly, I think it would be a regret if we went and never paid homage to that part of history. Jury is out, but we have months to figure it out.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would totally go to Germany. Take the good with the bad when you go and see the country.

I might also suggest doing Budapest, Prague and Vienna if you can get a chance. It would be a nice combo. I know, I am not volunteering to pay so. . .

C's Mom said...

I'm glad you're putting positive energy into doing more than surviving this wait.

Since Plan B is becoming a reality, Germany sounds like a wonderful choice.

TBG Happenings said...

Go! It is beautiful, cold:) and magical. We lived in Prague for 2 years and made our way to many of the Christmas markets. Loooove Salzburg, vienna, prague. Brings back such great memories......

Best wishes with your plan B,

Maryellen

Jenni said...

Diversions are good when adopting from China I think! It's sounds like a fun trip!

Michele said...

I think this trip will be so good for both of you and it sounds like you will have so much to see and enjoy. I never realized how interesting Germany could be. We'll be looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing your pictures when you return. But first, we'll be seeing you in a couple of weeks! Yahoo! We are so looing forward to it.

Colleen said...

I love Plan B! Do it - you will not regret it. (I know you'd rather have Plan A....)

Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful!!! I hope you have a great, great time! We are still thinking about our Plan B trip...

Anonymous said...

If you can't have Plan A, Plan B sounds great! We can't plan a Plan B. My benefit year ends in December, but DH's ends in April. We're always hoping to travel before April, so I use up my days in Dec and then am saving mine when he's using up his in April! It's insane. We haven't had a trip since our honeymoon in 2004.