With likely about a year... or more (seems we've heard that frequently here before) to go, the nursery is but a fleeting thought for now. I think often of people, my kin, my LID buddies, whose nurseries are long since complete. Not one of us thinking the wait would unfold infront of our eyes and continue to unfold and unfold and unfold again, like some magical origami crane flatening itself out.
I think of a question a friend at my workplace asked recently, "God it's got to be hard to have all that stuff in the closet and the nursery partly done and to see it". As we chatted over lunch I realized just how far I've come. I gave myself a silent and invisible pat on the back as I said, "no, not really, it's not hard. Hard was coming home the day Sophia died to the house full of baby gear, strewn all over the front foyer, living room and her nursery from our recent shower, then having the construction workers show up a few hours later to finish her playroom in the basement. The new nursery, it's something that has yet to take on a life. It's a subtle reminder of lovely days to come. And it's really ok to see it".
Perhaps what makes it easier is that the nursery is NOT done. Part of that, ok, most of that, was helped along by the move from the mid-Atlantic area to New England last summer. We packed up all that was, all that was never to be, into boxes. And during the last year we unpacked most of them, stored things away in a spare closet and continued to collect. We've collected wonderful hand-me-downs, toys, clothes, books, a closet organizer still in it's boxes, a crib, ... the list goes on. It's all waiting, waiting for Magpie. I think of my fellow LID buddies, I think of their completed nurseries and I wonder what it's like for them. Is it hard on them to see their room? Is it ok, a place of peace like it is for me? Can they go in there, curl up on their giant stuffed rocking chairs, holding an Ugly Doll and breath in the air that separates them from their daughters in China? Or is it a room, behind a door that's always closed?
I wonder, and yet I know, it's really ok how it is right now, a hodge podge of things, waiting to be assembled, some still figments of the corners of my mind. The valance boxes E will make and I will upholster, the curtains I plan to make, the crib to put together, the closet organizer to install, the lights to wire, the walls to paint, the decorations to hang, the bookshelf we made to put on the wall, the artwork that we hope starts a lifetime of a passion for art. It's all there, waiting for this winter, next spring and summer, when the nursery starts to slowly take on a life of its own.
For now, it's another item among a sea of items on our Magpie to-do list, later this year we'll start to slowly check them off our list, one by precious one. So Magpie's nursery and her collection of things, they aren't hard on me at all, the wait... now that's hard.
7 comments:
I haven't even begun to think of our Shauna's bedroom. I will start to work on that when Jan/Feb '06 starts to get referrals... though I would like to start it now... but I will hang off... as for camping... thanks for the offer of you camping gear but we have a tent... though would most likely stay with Mike's relatives up there (in MA)... then again... the camp ground sounds great. What is it called? I will FOR SURE visit you when we are up that way again... I will say one thing Lisa... you really have a way with words and I only wish I had that kind of gift. Glad you liked the photos. Until later... take care... Fliss
I have a 12/05 LID and we are just now starting on the nursery. I am having to take another break because my sister lost her first baby a few weeks ago. They too just got crib, baby stuff, and nursery stuff and had to come home to it all. It broke my heart so much that I have a hard time looking at my own 'stuff.' I think as we get a little closer, we will start working on it more. Right now it's just too hard.
We have the kid home and are not done getting things done. My mother ran around the house yesterday putting pictures in different places. It never ends.
We had the nursery done before we even had our LID. It became hard. Then there was a chance (when we moved programs) that we would get a boy, that threw a wrench in and I went in and cried and cried. Then when the twins happened I was happy to have the nursery done so I could sit in there and think of them.
It is a cycle, like anything but seriously, the wait, that is hard!
I can't imagine what your homecoming after losing your baby must have been like. I'm glad you seem to be moving up now.
That sun-moon stained glass is gorgeous!!!
Our unfinished nursery/kids room has the door wide open & I really do love going in there. It is far from finished and I'm thinking that is a very good thing. Right now, life is feeling busy & I look forward to the winter months and fiddling around in there. Nesting. Something for on the horizon - and something that I look forward to.
Heh, I don't even have the actual room yet let alone a nursery. All my baby stuff (gifts, small purchases) with the exception of books is in a walk-in closet that I can't walk in. I've put off moving each year that I wait for a kid that doesn't come. Maybe in 2008 I'll move. Argh
Post a Comment