Tuesday, September 04, 2007

counting the things that count

I took a half day of vacation today to spend sometime with a friend who has been in the hospital. So many emotions run through my mind as I think of her, of her situation and of hospitals in general.

first, let's face it, who likes hospitals? Me? No! That's for sure. The first thing I see was this atrium by the help desk that looks down over a "waiting area", up the stairs walks a woman, her mom (I'm guessing) and a newborn. For a second, and seriously, just a quick second, I flashed back to our time at GBMC, their delivery room waiting area located at the base of their atrium and our newborn. But it was just one quick flash and then it was gone.

How far a person can come in a year or two is amazing, it reminds me of the true strength of character of the human soul, to overcome, to excel, to renew.

And so even though I dislike hospitals just as much as anyone else, I was glad to be there even for that brief moment of recognition. The silver lining of my trip perhaps?

Beyond that, the visit was tough, funny, sad, emotional, wonderful and supportive all wrapped into one afternoon. I won't discuss the person or the situation, those of you who already know don't need details. I will tell you that I cannot imagine the heartbreak of going to China, coming home and shortly after going into the hospital. Not being able to touch your daughter, or hear her laughter, or see her smile or feel her warmth, truly horrible. I say with all sincerity, we've been through a lot, E and I, and though I know this must be a horrible time for my friend and her family, I really cannot imagine what this feels like for her.

Though her daughter is in good hands, they are not together and tonight, my thoughts are with them, and the distance and time that separate them. Her daughter will never remember this time, but I know my friend will and it must weigh on her heart, along with everything else.

As my friend Al said to me last night about this, once again, life has a way of reminding us of priorities and the need to put everything into perspective.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
Albert Einstein.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry and so saddened to hear about this friend of yours. What a heartbreaking situation and I pray that she will make a quick recovery. I pray her daughter knows in her heart that her Mommy loves her!

wzgirl said...

Great final quote, LB. Love that. Sending healing thoughts to your bud & her family. And, one for you, too. That was an important moment that you had and def "counted". XO

Cavatica said...

Nice quote to sum it all up. Hope your friend gets better soon and can get back to her daughter.

Colleen said...

i LOVE that quote!! It is so heartbreaking. I am glad to be going tonite and sad at the same time.

Shirley said...

Thanks for the post. I also am going to see her soon!! I talk to her often on the phone...
Many prayers are going out to her to get well soon!!

C's Mom said...

I will be thinking of your friend and hoping that she finds her way to wellness and back to her daughter very soon.