Thursday, September 06, 2007

There will be no...

One night this week as I lay in bed stressing out about the craziness at work, my boss quitting, some other stuff outside work, a sick friend and of course pissed about the wait, I couldn't sleep. I had crazy thoughts in my head, of course, it was a post in the making. I could not sleep till I carved the thoughts out of my head and dropped them onto paper... it's a first draft perhaps revisions to come.


There will be no...

There will be no hush and awe in a delivery room
No babe wrapped in striped blue and pink hospital blankets.

There will be no anxious gatherings in waiting rooms
No grandparents milling in the halls.

There will be no oohing and aahing through nursery windows
No 'she has her eyes and his nose'.

There will be no quiet times for reflection in the birthing suite
No rocking a newborn in the wooden chair by the window.

Rather, there will be announcements of arrival throughout the plane
the slow stirring of new parents, overflowing with elation.

There will be anticipation of that first step on US soil
a moment to experience like no other exit from a plane.

There will be immigrations officers and airport gangways
Weary passengers from all over the world.

There will be the din of the baggage carousels and the sounds of "welcome home"
People milling, swirling all about the beaming parents.

There will be much overwhelming joy, happiness and elation
followed by a moment of silence for her homeland we left behind.

There will be the end of a very long journey to create a family
and the start of a whole new way of life.

This will be her entrance into our world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. (I wanted to come up with something different, but there is no other word.)

comingaroundagain said...

There will be the ineffable experience of joining two continents into one family, through your daughter. . .

(what can compare?)

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! I love it because it's so true! You are so creative.

C's Mom said...

So well said....our day will come.

Kathryn said...

You have a way with words that make what you say very heartfelt. You have captured in words what we feel inside.
Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Well written. Our daughters will have an entrance all their own, perhaps not traditional, but very much momentous.