We finally booked our Germany trip, it's a good thing I didn't book it last month... minor detail, I didn't verify the Christmas Market dates last month and all the research I did had us leaving to go back home, the day they opened... classic.
Market dates all over vary from town to town and country to country, luckily an extra month of planning paid off. I was also able to find a moderate priced hotel (moderate for Germany is slightly less than moderate for Tokyo, ha ha!) just a few hundred feet from the main Market locations, with buffet breakfast included. As I verified with E tonight, you know what that means... "eat a lot". (and they have wireless internet all over the hotel... Confucius Says is going to Germany, stay tuned for photos.)
AND
I came across an online site dedicated to travel tips from the BTDT and found out if we want to visit Salzburg or Neuschwanstein Castle we don't need to pay $100 EACH WAY PER PERSON to get there on a Eurorail pass. Nope, there's something called the Bayern pass (that's the name in one region), get this, it's about 20 Euro's per DAY, not per person, not per way, per DAY. Awesome. This means all the day trips can be planned "that day", we can just wing it. Yeah, I know, those who know me best cannot for one second believe I will not buy the tickets in advance. I swear, I'm not. OCD is being left at home.
So we are not renting a car at the glorious rate of $550 for 7 days, for a matchbox sized car. (not including gas at like $5/gal or something like that. We could do day trips on the trains every day and still not reach 1/5 the price to do it by car.)
AND
On one of the Germany/US flights we reserved the side by side seats on one side (it's one of those 2-4-2 seat arrangements), no strange (ok, E is strange, but not a STRANGER) travel mates touching my legs over the Atlantic. I hate leg creepage under the armrests. ewwwwwh. (we are on hold for the same seats on the way over. sucks not knowing till that day)
The bad.
While I am glad I visited my friend for a few hours this morning at the hospital, my heart sank seeing her. I was able to chat with her husband for about 30 minutes while we took a break in the cafeteria. He is worn down, worried and pretty overwhelmed by it all. Tomorrow they find out how bad the news is, if, that is, they find something based on the latest analysis.
6 comments:
Salzburg is well worth it. You will have a great trip!
OMG.....I nearly wet my pants with the "leg creepage" comment. I hate that!!!
I am with you 100% on what is happening with our friend and her hubby. I sent you an email.
So happy you made your Germany reservations! I know you will have an awesome trip.
So sorry about your friend. I know they truly appreciate the time you take to visit and your friendship.
Your trip plans sound exciting. So sorry about your friend and it sounds like it doesn't matter how new a friend she is - she's important. She's lucky to have you.
I look forward to hearing about your trip! It sounds so fun!!!!
You know, I don't know that I've ever experienced leg creepage (but EEWWW!), but I hate when people hog the arm rest, or I've even had them have their book or newspaper over the arm rest in *my* personal space. Geez!
Cool! You are really making this trip more REAL by the second! I loved Neuschwanstein Castle - it is like nothing you've ever seen in the US - kinda like a lot of stuff in Europe! Good thing that you won't be missing the XMas market - that was a good save, plannerlady!
Post a Comment