Friday, October 19, 2007

Unique-ness

Recently I was the host of a team building event between my engineering team, my quality team, another managers development team and yet another team from R&D. It was an all day event and much fun. To start things off, we all had to take part in an "ice Breaker", you know, normally some lame ass activity to help you get to know people better.

This time, the activity, not so lame. In fact all the "ice breakers" I've been exposed to at this new company have been fun, some very "telling" about the individuals involved.

This time, name something unique about you no one else knows. Here's a quick recap of the people who work for myself and Dave:

*-a former pole vaulter
**-a former juvenile convict (this momma is so proud of her young'uns!)
-someone who raised chickens as a kid, though we all heard it as "raced chickens" and were trying to figure out how that worked. would there be little saddles, or was it like greyhounds where there's "something" luring them around the track?
*-a participant in the running of the bulls
-a college drop (or is that flunk?) out who finished his degree after he grew up (honestly, a fantastic engineer).
-the guy who never swears, seriously, said "no one knows, but I can swear, and in three languages".

FYI
*The former pole vaulter and running of the bulls participant were women.
**The group of people at my table had figured someone would be a former convict knowing the outrageous personalities and imagining their childhood was even more outgoing... only this was not the person we guessed

Two of the individuals are native to other countries, neither native english speakers. Every so often I get to explain to them what some of our slang mean. I'd have to say what something means in passing. That day, one of them was introduced to the phrase "shit or get off the pot", by the instructor. (a bit laid back I'd say, and A O K with me). The look on his face, seriously, like a cloud appeared above his head like in the cartoons. You could see him glancing (mentally) at that "cloud" and then the fog lifted and he burst out laughing, he was crying due to laughing, I was crying due to laughing, some of the other guys at our table couldn't hold it in either. He kept muttering "shit or get off the pot", then he'd chuckle, it was awesome.

I can only imagine what happens at the next team building event, we're likely to take it offsite and go to a ropes course or laser tag with missions or something like that... I can see it now as we pick teams "I want convict boy", "ok, I'll take the chicken racer".

Magpie, we'd love you to be unique, but perhaps you could be something other than most of the items above? Pole vaulting's ok with us though.

1 comment:

Cavatica said...

I love explaining expressions to foreign-born speakers. It's so awesome when they get it!