Monday, December 31, 2007

2008

Last year I posted a song about what I hoped for everyone for 2007. The song and post can be found HERE.

It was a song by the Goo Goo Dolls about "if you ask me what I want this year", and the answer was... better days. Though that's still true, and 2007 obviously didn't work out anywhere close to what E and I thought going in, we are in a better place today than much of the past year. I'm personally happy to close the doors on 2007, in spite of knowing that of course 2008 will not be our year either.

This weekend we watched a lot of movies, some in the theater (Charlie Wilson's War was awesome), some at home, like Meet The Robinson's. We both really liked Meet the Robinson's, a story about a boy living in an orphanage, who's given up on finding a family, who's this wonderfully crazy inventor, who learns many lessons in the movie:

Keep moving forward, don't give up.
You learn more from your failures than your successes.
You can make a difference in one person's life (Goob).
Sometimes what you always wanted has been right there with you all along.

I highly recommend the movie, it's touching, funny, represents much of life, the good and bad, and just plain enjoyable.

And so, for 2008, the song I picked was the one from that movie, Small Wonders (most might think it's called "Let it Go"). I think the best that can be done with 2007 is to "let it go", I know quite a few of people who would benefit from just letting last year go. The song talks about the tiny twists and turns of fate, that life is really made up of small moments, small wonders, you know, I think I agree. For the oh so lucky ones where 2007 brought them so much, congratulations and we're looking forward to joining you there one day down the road.

let it go,
let it roll right off your shoulder
don’t you know
the hardest part is over
let it in,
let your clarity define you
in the end
we will only just remember how it feels

our lives are made
in these small hours
these little wonders,
these twists & turns of fate
time falls away,
but these small hours,
these small hours still remain

let it slide,
let your troubles fall behind you
let it shine
until you feel it all around you
and i don’t mind
if it’s me you need to turn to
we’ll get by,
it’s the heart that really matters in the end

our lives are made
in these small hours
these little wonders,
these twists & turns of fate
time falls away,
but these small hours,
these small hours still remain

all of my regret
will wash away some how
but i can not forget
the way i feel right now

in these small hours
these little wonders
these twists & turns of fate
these twists & turns of fate
time falls away but these small hours
with these small hours, still remain,
they still remain
these little wonders
these twists & turns of fate
time falls away
but these small hours
these little wonders still remain

Here's to small wonders, small moments, letting stuff wash right off your shoulders... and here's to 2008.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great song! We loved Charlie Wilsons war as well. It wasnt drawn out too long with either

Anonymous said...

Great song.

Hope the new year is better.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Ohhh... I love the "Goo Goo Dolls"... love the song too... you know... you could say that 2007 was 'Better Days' as well as 2008 will be 'Better Days'... just better days for different reasons... look what you done in 2007 - the friends you made, travelling, family, dressing up the dogs on Halloween (that was funny) etc... hang in there... our turn will come... easier said then done but we have gone this far... Have a great New Year 2008 - take care and stay safe...

Samantha said...

Happy New Year my friend!

Michele said...

Happy New Year to both of you. And the puppies too! The future has to be better for you than the past has been in many ways and I can only hope for you that this coming year will bring you so many good things. Magpie may not come home in 2008 (though I can wish for you, can't I) but hopefully this new year will bring you many other happy days.

Hugs & bugs from our home to yours! We hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

That was our theme song last year. Good Song! Happy New Year adn wishing great things!
~Kindel