But this morning, at 11:45 we placed a call to the vets to deal with the ongoing saga also known as Pet 1 and Pet 2.Zane (Pet 2) has been issue free since her last bout with pancreatitus last fall, we've been lucky, the food regimen has really worked well. And since we never fed our dogs crap like sweets, fatty foods, etc, the fact that they (since Zane is restricted it's easiest to restrict both) no longer get any human foods besides fresh veggies, is no big deal.
Ginger (Pet 1) is now picking up where Zane left off with our frequent visits to the vets. If we had a 'punch card' like at Subway, we'd easily have filled 2-3 cards between the 2 of them in the last 12 months (plus we'd be trim like Jarrod in the commercials). Ginger has, uhm, 'back end' issues. For those who have pets, you likely know what this is code for. For those of you without pets, or who are thinking of getting a pet, you're better off not knowing.
Those who read I-con routinely know exactly what I'm talking about. So we place the call this morning about an abscess that just appeared that was kind of concerning (she's never had an abscess of any kind ofr any reason, it was sort of "surprise"). They say yup, bring her in, better not wait till tomorrow. After a quick rush down we make it a few minutes after they were due to close but they waited.
We walk out 15 minutes later, orders for hot compresses several times a day, antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and an appointment on Monday (E's day off... bummer for him).
The bill:
$192.00, of which $100 covers 4 days of medicines and the rest the emergency fee.
They've warned us with her recent recurring serious histories, concern over worse abscesses and a 'mass' they've noted prior she is rapidly heading for surgery. Surgery with some fairly serious consequences if things don't go exactly right. We continue to hope for the best. Even with Zane having such a serious case of pancreatitus last year we dodged surgery, so we're hopeful with this different issue for Ginger.Good thing she's so well mannered, beyond occasional wincing when poked around, she takes all her shots, medicines, etc., with great patience and almost 'happiness'. If only E and I were that great at being a patient. The vets have always commented on her demeanor, we've had 5 over the years in the places we've lived so we've gotten such kind words.
Stay tuned.
(the pics, of these cute little hippos from Target, you know, the $1 bins at the front of the store.. perfect for disposable stuffed toys. This one clearly shows Zane's personality, she only wants the things she can't have.)
8 comments:
Poor Ginger! She is such a sweet dog and soooooo soft! I am glad it wasn't too serious! I hope she can avoid surgery! It was over 2000.00 when Sage got her stitches and drains after she got bit. Plus it is so sad to see them suffering. Funny she is probably enjoying the extra attention. I know Sage did.
Hope everything goes well. And may I just add that that first shot is adorable? Your dogs are gorgeous.
I am so sorry for you and sweet Ginger. But those pics?? Too cute. I did see those toys today at Target...shoulda got one for Carter.
Oh poor baby!!! Hope everything will be okay. I know what it's like to spend quite a bit of time at the vet. My little doggie pooh has a dermatological form of Lupus. He sees a veterinary dermatologist in NYC every 2 to 3 months and when his disease flares up we have to go every 4 weeks. My husband nearly killed me and the dog when he first got sick. Remember we are going to Manhattan for his treatment and the prices match. (There are very few veterinary dermatologists around) He had to see 2 specialists prior to his biopsy$$$$$$$$$. Lets just say this tiny six pound yorkie has cost us a fortune. I love him though and you can't let them be sick, you have to do what you can to keep them well!!!
Poor puppy. Such sweeties...both of them. Hope things are better soon.
Keep smilin!
We're thinking good thought for your pups!
Poor baby. It is a really good thing that they both have a wonderful Mommy and Daddy that take such good care of them. Not all pet owners are so good to their fur babies.
I hope surgery can be avoided for everyone's sake.
I'm confused......the hind end displaysia????
Post a Comment