Republicans versus Democrats
Black Versus white
Bloodlines versus marriage lines
Haves versus Have Nots
Why does it always seem to be either one or the other? Why does it seem to be, in life, it's all too often about which box you fit in, someone just ACHING to label you and sit you in your corner, which of course is far away from their corner.
Why does it have to be "versus" at all?
***************************
This was an awesome weekend... you're scratching your head thinking, that's quite an opener for an awesome weekend. Well, hold on, I'll get there. This weekend we caught up with friends of ours, who coincidentally have 3 adopted children from China, but I've known Al before the kids came into their life, friends from a previous company I worked for. We meet up at their house or ours, for a weekend together several times a year, we've also camped together.
This weekend, their house, and on the way home I summed it up all in one thought in my head and quickly went to put pen to paper, or napkin as the case might be. That 1 word?
Fulfilling.
You know in life some people, some circumstances or situations, they suck the life out of you like a wraith (you'd have to watch Stargate Atlantis). No matter how hard you try, or what you do, or the compromise you make, it can be exhausting, and it is what it is, you don't fit, you don't belong and even if you could you know you never will. But time with others or in other circumstances can be fulfilling. This weekend no exception. We laughed till we almost cried, we tried out their new Wii, uhmmm Sam and Joe we did MUCH better than at your house a few months ago, made cookies, a volcano, castles out of blocks, we slept too little (drank and ate too much), we played with their kids and gathered with friends/family to wish Al a very happy birthday.
In the end, one moment will be etched in my mind. As we were going to leave, warm and sincere hugs were exchanged all around, even with Al and Donna's friends we just met, then little Lianna, gave me an awesome hug and while doing so said "I want to stay right here forever".
And so on the ride home I finally realized, these bonds of life, these moments, these connections, they don't have to be about one 'group' VERSUS another 'group'.
I know as I look back, I realized that even though we are a "Have Not" in terms of 'family' (and trust us, it's pretty damn alienating at times), this weekend, we were just a big group of the Haves AND Have Nots, and it didn't make a difference in anyone's eyes.
For that we are grateful, to be treated as just regular people with all the support, laughter and friendship we hope to fill our whole lives with.
6 comments:
Well put - we'd all be in a better world if there was no 'versus'.
A girl can dream.
What a great world it would be - I know I 'try' to not pigeon hole people, doesn't always work but hey... I can admit my faults...
Glad you had such a nice weekend! Congrats on the Wii improvements.
We will have to try the Wii one day, from what you and L1 have to say.
Glad you had a good time with the kids. The nieces and nephews were one way I fulfill my huggy pot too.
Hope to see you both soom.
People do seem determined to categorize and divide. I'm glad you've included me.
What a great post. I am so glad that you had such a great weekend.
Looking forward to seeing ya this weekend! (I am not too good at WII yet......)
Post a Comment