As I sit here in a hotel room, many hours away from home, on a recruiting trip I am reminded of the irony that it is the simplest things, not the grandest things in life that in the end really matter.
huh?
Perhaps it's the post fever haze from Valentine's Day, which followed us literally like the plague all weekend, barely able to go pick up a rental car at the airport on Sunday for the drive. But perhaps it's not the side effects from too little sleep, too little food, too much coughing, too much snot (sorry, but what else can I say)... Perhaps, it's just reality.
We arrived at the hotel, one of my newest engineers and myself this afternoon after a 5 hour drive, not bad, easier than 2 commuter flights and the time in between, let alone the fact my ears would have exploded over Amish country. We grabbed some soup at a hotel, me thinking it would soothe my body still aching from a bout of bronchitis.
Wisconsin Cheese Soup (the mildest soup on the menu), good for the throat.
Wisconsin Cheese Soup, not so good for the body that hasn't seen more than a few morsels of food in 3-4 days. Nuff said.
So I passed on dinner with the other person joining us for the college recruiting fair tomorrow. But they brought me back what I asked for, bread.
That was my one request.
But the bread, OH MY GOD, it's awesome (I say that now but who knows). And a little bit of butter on the side like icing on the grandest cake. Who knew that one of the most basic elements of life would bring me some joy tonight as I hack my way into sleep.
Cheers to the Bread and Butter of Life, a testament that often the simplest pleasures hold the greatest potential, because you aren't expecting it.
4 comments:
It's something we forget as soon as we are well again.
what kind of bread was it???
this chick COULD live on bread alone
well, maybe a nice salad along side
Oh poor girl feel better soon!
So germies are wrecking havoc in your house too! Jammer is still sick but hopefully now we have him on the road to recovery.
We have lots of drugs here we would share with you, but they are of the infant kind so I'm guessing that you'd need the whole bottle.
Feel better soon.
Being sick stinks. Sorry. Hope you feel better soon. Amish country?
Post a Comment