Sunday, February 10, 2008

CNY

we celebrated Chinese New Year a few days late this year, but in great company. Each year of our adoption journey we notice our traditions forming some disappearing, some created and growing stronger with the passage of time.

This year, no CNY cards were sent out, but hey, I did get out our Christmas cards for the first time in 3 years, so that sort of counts!

Last year and this year we spent a wonderful CNY dinner celebration with our friends Al and Donna, their kids and friends of theirs who adopted several years ago at the same time as one of their daughters (but are back waiting for their second child). This year we also added in another local couple and their daughter Lilly, some of you will recognize her!



We headed out to a different restaurant, I've heard from those who travelled to China that the food is about as Chinese as you'll get in the states, good news, I ate pretty well! I just need to watch out for bones! The kids were showered with Red Envelopes and small toys, even Magpie scoring some for the day she comes home. Some from the past are already tucked away inside a book of hers.

The kids had a good time, the parents did too and I continue to be grateful for the power of friendship which supported us through the many months that lay behind and and those that are ahead. We are fortunate our circle continues to blossom and that the strength we get from our "community" makes us smile with warmth.

Here's to friendships new and old, may they continue to grow, intertwine and blossom during this Chinese New Year. Our newest and oldest friends continue to mesh like we were all sown from the same seeds, strewn about a garden, each unique but imparting something to the overall landscape... no matter the occasion, the time, or the place, there is this seamless blending that I really love about our closest friends and family.

(So Al, what was that stringy tenticle-y looking thing I had?)

4 comments:

Samantha said...

Awesome photos feel free to share as many as you are willing to send over! It was a good time! We enjoyed meeting your friends and their gorgeous family! Thanks so much for the gifts for Lilly it was so sweet of you guys!

Cavatica said...

Sounds like a great time! Stringy tenticle thing??? Thank goodnesss-- I read stringy "testicle" thing the first time. Phew! Tenticles sound like squid or octopus. Testicles just sounded very scary! Glad it was just a case of dyslexia.

Michele said...

Wow! A good time was had by all evidently. The bears almost looked bigger than the cars until I figured out they were sitting on your dashboard as you took the picture.

Happy New Year you both of you. We hope to see you in person very soon.

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

That was great that you had such a great time... alas... where I live... we don't bother to attend this stuff anymore... it seems if you don't have a 'child' you are somewhat left to yourself... you don't really feel welcome... that is ok... I am not worried... glad you had fun... take care