Saturday, March 15, 2008

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining...

I've had this post in draft for many months. Never finding quite the right words or thoughts to do it justice. But at this point, it's clear it's one of those posts I probably never will get exactly right, so after being in the dungeons of my draft files for months, it's time for the light of day.

A Wish for Magpie

Those who read me regularly know that as I post, from time to time I'll weave a wish for Magpie at the end of post based on it. For this one, it is the post, rather than a footnote. I wish for Magpie that she finds, like her Dad and I have found, those close connections, the people who cherish us as equally and whole heartedly as we cherish them and who treat our relationship with them with respect and decency.

I wish for Magpie that these deep connections will be real and lasting. Based neither on shifting sands nor on falsehood disguised in sheeps clothing. I wish for Magpie the ability to see the difference between the deep, real, honest and lasting connections, and those that are fleeting, shallow and shifting from day to day or week to week depending on influences on those people. And I wish for her, that when she sees the difference, she can accept it for reality and let go of dreams that may have once existed.

I find far too many people in life rely on shifting sands, tenuous relationships, avoidance when something tough comes up and inuendos (aka half "truths", is truth ever really "half"? Seriously?). We all know what I'm eluding to, we've all been faced with the reality that some people you really care about and love deeply just don't feel the same, they pretend, they avoid a request for honesty or hide stuff until you ask, they smile at the right times, but you learn quickly how it all adds up, and I bet the realizatioin of this made you feel terrific and valued huh? Yeahhhh, righhhhht.

Like Judge Judy says... don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

May Magpie's life be full of honesty, and lasting relationships with people who truly love her, not just loving her when it's convenient and comfortable or simply because she's standing in front of them, for that's not love, that's shit. I hope Magpie is surrounded by those who truly love her when it's not all roses and fairy tales, who have conviction of character to treat her with respect. I can honestly say that by the time we all reach adulthood, noone's really fooling anyone anymore, but sometimes it's better to just move on and let those people go and other times it's worthwhile to speak up and ask someone to stop peeing on your leg.

May Magpie have realness and depth in her life that we all deserve but so few really get.

(there, now that this draft post is finally out, perhaps I can get on to enjoying Spring)

5 comments:

C's Mom said...

Magpie will be a fortunate one to have those wishes to come true.

Like many adults, I write this while standing knee deep in plenty of pee over the years.

Kathryn said...

Beautiful post Lisa and a great wish for Magpie. Honest, loving and lasting relationships is what we all need. I have a handful of people in my life like that and it truly makes life rich and meaningful!!!!!!!!!

Samantha said...

Lilly will definitely need to read your wishes for Magpie! I wish the same for our girl!

Michele said...

As always, a very beautiful post and one that I whole heartily agree with. I know that with such terrific parents to teach her the meaning of true friendship, Magpie will know how to keep those who truly love her close to her heart and not worry about letting the others go.

wzgirl said...

As easy as it should be - honesty is complicated. Or, it can be. Not for me so much, not usually. Simplicity isn't easy.