So, while watching Saturday Night Live (it really sucks except the news part), we see that we missed a very important holiday. You engineers out there are going to LOVE this one:
Pi (π) Day, occurred on March 14th, because, as all you techies out there know, Pi is roughly equivalent to 3.14 truncated. Or for the anal retentive, March 14th at 1:59 PM is Pi Minute (3.14159), or even Pi Second, March 14th, 1:59:26PM (3.1415926)
In checking to make sure that SNL wasn't pulling our leg I come across the fact that there are also alternate Pi Days, know as Pi Approximation Day, noted as follows:
Most often July 22 (22/7 (European date format) is a popular approximation of π)
November 10th, the 314th day of non leap years
December 21, 1:13PM, the 355th day of the year (Chinese approximation of Pi 355/113)
And interestingly enough, March 14 also happens to be Albert Einstein's birthday.
So, I'm still waiting for Hallmark to come out with Pi Day cards, until then, I'd suggest ordering a Pizza Pie to celebrate.
For all you techies out there, fear not, there are other science days yet to come this year. Mole Day, celebrating the Avogadro Constant, Square Root Day (the month and day are the square root of the year, like 3/3/09) and not to be missed,Towel Day (for those who've read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy), don't forget to bring you towel with you everywhere that day.
2 comments:
Oh my! you are so deep and so smart. I remember what Pi is vaguely, from pre-calculus class I had to take as part of my requirements to be a PT) Yes Pi is important in rehabing a patient) Anyway, as I finished my very deep post about SpongeBob Squarepants I read your posts and feel, well lets just say I have post envy.
Just joking I love reading your blog, I'm a big fan of yours.
Ok... somewhere along the line I got lost... I never was one for Math etc...
Post a Comment