I know it's been a while since I've written. I'm still alive, just on a break you could say. But this weekend there was no doubt I needed to write some thoughts down.We hosted many of the people I frequently talk about on this blog, this past weekend (no links will be provided, those who know them don't need them!):
Lilly and her family home from China last July
Ben and his family home from Vietnam last spring
Ashlyn and her family, containing a great friend of mine from childhood
meeting us in Mystic, Liana, Timmy and Autumn, frequent guests here
Over the course of the weekend I was reminded about the crazy twists and turns of fate:
From the theme song of Meet the Robinson's and my song for 2008:
our lives are made, in these small hours
these little wonders, these twists & turns of fate
From the MANY conversations both at the aquarium and here at my house that revealed LINKS, real live links, that each of them had experienced over the last few years, only to unveil them in person and realize they had all crossed paths directly or indirectly through connections and
To the point where this weekend I had to step back and really think about my life, the friendships I've created, the memories I've had the pleasure to take part in creating, experiencing or reliving. How is it that this circle of friends all connected through adoption have been connected through the years already? Separated by 1 or 0 degrees of freedom.
There are times I've wondered over the last year if the adoption
I couldn't see the past, I couldn't live the present and I was afraid of what the future may not be holding in store for me, instead of the potential it may have, planned or unplanned.
But as I made the beds when everyone had left I was reminsicing about all this, the weekend, the being defined by "The Wait", the wait that should have never
Honestly, I would have less in my life had this all not happened. I would not have met 3 of the families we gathered with this weekend. I would have been unlikely to Really get to know the other 2 families as well as I have. I would not have experienced the love of each of them in my life. I would not have been able to see the joy on their faces as we all laughed like we deserved to laugh. Heck, I doubt without the adoption I would have even moved back to New England, going for the adoption lifted me out of a
So this weekend, while making the beds I realized that perhaps this adoption journey was not about the LID, the adoption, afterall. Perhaps, it was about the people I met on my Journey?
Stranger things have happened in life.
I know I am lucky in life, I know that for all I've gone through, there is so much more to be grateful for. Things like the death of Sophia, crappy relationships (understatement and never to be mentioned here again) with my entire inlaw family beyond reason or comprehension, to the point of fearing for myself and
I realize that beyond it all, I am over the moon fortunate for the ties in my life, the people who love me, the relationships I'm a part of, the deep deep connections I've sparked or taken part in, the laughter and love that I have in my life. I am lucky, I realize that perhaps the point of the adoption was not the creation of a family after all, but the creation of all of these truly awesome connections that have brought me to where I am in life. So this Sunday afternoon I pay homage to all the great people in my life. The ones who inspire me, who love me, who truly know me and get me, the
recent people who've come into my life in the last few years or even more recent than that, who my eyes finally opened up to this year.I've recently spent the last few weeks at work uncovering a bit more about who I am, what I really offer, you know, what uniqueness that I can or do bring to my environment. And that even more so, it's the differences in people that make us truly special and valued. I'm grateful for some of these eye opening experiences, they've really helped me walk away realizing that even though there are those in your life who contaminate... the real beauty, value, wonder and time ought to be spent on those who contribute. (I know those who read
I am truly a very lucky person for all of these connections, all of these inspirational people and for the way that they love me for all I am, and even more so I would imagine for all the things that I am not.
I give thanks to each and every one of you.
5 comments:
Very Sweet post written by a very sweet person! We had such a great time, I am so glad we were invited!I think you are awesome Lisa ,I will never forget how wonderful you were when I was sick, visiting me and cheering me up with your time and gifts that were so perfect and thoughtful! I am lucky to have you as a friend! Thank You! I definitely think there are many wonderful unexpected surprises in life.
We were smiling all day because of the wonderful weekend we experienced. Thanks to both Lisa and Eric for hosting such a great time for all of us. It was so nice to meet such a terrific group of people. What a beautiful post.
We Love You Lisa and Eric.
Susan, Mark and Ashlyn
We truly had the most awesome time this weekend and we can't wait until our next one. We were actually talking about picking a time to go to Sturbridge on the way home.
It really scares me to think about how our lives would have suffered had we not started on our journey, which brought you into our lives. Now we can't imagine our lives without you. Spending time together just enjoying life is so special to us and we are looking forward to many, many years having fun with you guys and, of course, the puppies.
Love always being sent your way, know that you are always on my mind, memories of times spent together replay in my head and dreams of the future we will share with our families bring a smile to my heart.
Ok, I'm crying again for the 2nd time today reading this post, so I'm heading to my own place for now. I can't wait to see you again this weekend!
Shit. Tears running down my face. You summed up my thoughts better than anything I could ever pull together. I always felt if I walked away from it all tomorrow what I got from the process has more value than anything else I have in my life. These are the gifts in life that truly matter. Family is the love you you find and not which you are born into. Love by chance is that much more meaningful because it is chosen and not required. You, my friend are loved for everything you are and perhaps even those things you are not. I can't wait until next time. Now take down that horrid picture because I know where you live ;-)
Sometimes there are friends that you know you will lose touch with once it has taken it's path and you have learnt lessons from that person and there are some that you know you will be with forever... I think you have found those...
Post a Comment