When you're weary, Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all
I'm on your side, When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down
For a variety of reason I've come to a point in my life where giving back is even more important than it's ever been. I've always had causes or helped each year in some way.
There was Habitat, before that Half the Sky, before that quite a few charity Christmas trees, and many events or moments small and large. There's just always been something. But lately I was wanting something new and someone suggested becoming a foster to help out a breed specific dog rescue organization.
Funny thing though, I tried to volunteer with the local animal shelters and humane society and I volunteered as a foster home even. They all said the same thing. "with so many people out of work, we have more volunteers than we can accept".
You know the economy is bad when you can't get a job volunteering :)
But apparently, the breed type groups don't have that luxury. They need help, many many of them need help. I'm not in a position to give money, but I can open my door to a dog in need and foster it while it waits for a wonderful family to adopt it. I can't think of a better way to close out the end of this year, than by giving my love and attention to one that really needs it.
It's also not lost on me that Ginger, since she lost her hearing recently, is not the same dog she used to be. She is uncertain all the time and constantly checking to make sure noone left the room. She needs a dog pal who is her early warning system, who lets her know someone walked in the room or out of it, or that another dog is barking, or that something in the kitchen just hit the floor :)
And of course, there is a background check and a homestudy. Hmmmm, sound familiar? With any luck, a dog named Sundance will be coming to stay until another family is lucky enough to bring him home.
Ginger and Sundance will be appearing on a blog near you from time to time.
Let's all keep in mind, no matter what is happening in our own lives, someone out there needs a Bridge Over Troubled Water.
1 comment:
Very nice idea. I'm sure Ginger will love the companionship.
Post a Comment