Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanks Giving (a little early)

On this Thanksgiving Day, for what is the first time since (at least) Thanksgiving of 2004, I am at peace and thankful for a lot.

Thanksgiving of 2005 came just a few days after I gave birth to Sophia and it's taken this long to separate those 2 days. Right or wrong in anyone else's eyes that it took that long, it is what it is. I no longer feel weighted down by the needs of others to mourn and grieve a certain way, like Frank Sinatra, I did it my way. We all need the space and support to grieve our own way.

But this year, as I look back (and perhaps forward if I indulge just a tiny bit) I'm thankful for:

The peace of the lake on which I am lucky to live.

True friends & New friends

The kindness of strangers in what has been a very difficult time for me

The kindess and love from my neighbors, for many dinners, boat rides and movie nights with PJ's, wine and snacks at their house.

For the people in my life, who treat me just like (favorite) relatives even if we're not related.

The neighborhood my mother picked for us to grow up in. It set the bar for all future neighborhoods to come. We were lucky she picked it.

That I loved and found fulfillment from my job.

The wonderful family who loves and adores Zane, giving her the joy she deserves.

My health.

For the people who have touched my heart through my adoption journey and remain permanently fixed in there.

That in lots of ways, for lots of things, I've been lucky enough to have second, sometimes third, chances.

Ginger's health and my ability to adapt to her new hearing loss.

For accepting even though I do not have the money or permanent space for another dog, as much as I want one, I do have the ability to help by fostering temporarily from time to time.

Finding peace in many ways and believing there is more to come.

Realizing though Sophia's memory is so sad for me, I've come a long way.

Finding happiness, real happiness, on my own, with me, myself and I. This is new for me and it couldn't have come at a more important time.

For the days I believe it's not the 'rest' of my life that is coming, but the 'best' of my life is just beginning. And no that's not some sappy Hallmark greeting, I really do think that at times.

My thanks to each and everyone in my life who has lent a hand, a shoulder, a tear, a smile, a laugh, a kind word or a stern glance. I am, at times like these, reminded of how lucky I am. I've always been thankful to grow up in the US vs a lot of other places, but it goes far deeper than that. I am very fortunate and I cannot, ever, forget that.

What more in life could there possibly be, to be thankful for? Okay, I guess there are a few things:

whip cream, car horns, marshmellows, opposing thumbs, cheese whiz, corn cob holders, lucky charms, the color blue, all the birds that haven't pooped on me when they've flown overhead, vacuum cleaners, the wheel, Jeff Probst, deoderant, Wipeout, digital camaras, orvil and wilbur wright, cheesecake, electricity, toilet paper, Monty Python, cotton and wine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful list! I am so glad you are finding such peace and more joy along the way.

Happy Thanksgiving this year to you!

Michele said...

You deserve all the peace and happiness. I'm glad that you are looking forward to the future with a open heart.