Thursday, December 17, 2009

In a pickle

So, I know from chats with people over the years that more than a few people out there either hang a glass blown pickle on there tree, OR, at least know of the tradition. So imagine this scene while my friend Ralf and I picked out, put up and decorated the Christmas tree:

(we go through ornaments, unpacking, hanging, unpacking hanging, in many cases talking about them)

Ralf: What's this?

(holds an ornament up with a scrunched up inquisitive look on his face)

Me: Uhmm, it's a Christmas Pickle ( in my know it all kind of tone!)
Ralf: Why do you hang a Christmas Pickle on your tree and what is it?

(I think he's kidding)

(side note: Ralf was born in and spent the first 30 years of his life in Germany)

Me: Come on, you know about the Christmas Pickle.
Ralf: No, what is it?

(he's looking at me like I'm crazy)
(I quickly think, hmmm, I don't want him to feel bad that he doesn't know of a tradition from his homeland)
(I quickly think immediately after that thought, I don't want to feel like an idiot if it's not true)

Me: Well it's a tradition. See, the parents hide the ornament on the tree and the first child on Christmas morning that finds it gets a special present.
Ralf: Uhh, Okay.

(I decide, hmm, I'm not going to tell him it's supposedly a German tradition)

Well, a week or so goes by and it's bugging me, I have to look it up, I HAVE to know. This link says it all.

http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth11.htm

Bottom line, this IS one of the myths about Germany that is absolutely false, clearly there was a reason why Ralf had no clue about it. I know I should believe that America is THAT good at marketing a story, but damn. This goes to show that all you read, even if mass produced and sold in legitimate stores by reputable brands, is not necessarily true.

Priceless is the fact that many of these (not actually) German tradition Christmas Pickles are made in Germany for shipment to... you guessed it... the US.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Very interesting little story. We don't have a pickle here but I've considered getting one a few times. Obviously since we don't have one yet, I haven't felt compelled to get one.

K~ said...

Did your friend Ralf tell you about the tradition with the switches, coal or candy leaving your shoes out for St. Nick? Now, I think that is a true German tradition but you will have to ask him. Good to know about the pickle. :)