Sunday, January 03, 2010

Just a statistic.

We talk about people, life and all the things you may see in your lifetime as a number, as a statistic.

This is sad. Statistics numb your mind to the real life behind that number. But I guess that's the beauty in statistics, you can casually forget about the realness.

As referrals come out, I cannot and will not push aside the reality of what the wait for China did to so many waiting. The program was chugging along at a steady 6-12 months (for YEARS) from the time you submitted your paperwork to the time you might see your child's face.

~ 12,500 in 2005
~   4,000 in 2009

Referral statistics of the program for China. In 2005 there were a total of 12,500 children referred and that number rapidly, no  I am not kidding, dropped to 4,000 this past year.

~ 11,000 in 2005
~   1,800 in 2009

Number of non-special needs children who were referred out of the totals above. They are the more realistic numbers for the China program. In the graph below it sure looks like a well controlled shift towards special needs almost exclusively. Having a special needs only program is important for so many countries and I understand it, but few of us entered the program realizing what was to come. The result? The wait skyrocketed, now at nearly 4 years and climbing rapidly, how could it not with the trend above.


Those statistics? Well they all represent a child. And behind those statistics? There are families, the fortunate families whose dreams were realized, and many many more families whose dreams are gone. The latter group? They are just like you and me, in fact, any of us could have been in that latter group, easily. Perhaps one life change away from a swift kick to the curb.

Just one life change.

We talk about everything in life as a number. But these numbers represent people. People with dreams just like yours and mine, who walked away broken hearted voluntarily or forced out of the program, due to circumstances during the wait. Maybe they:

-got divorced
-gave birth to a child (planned or not) and were booted from their agencies program (horrible)
-got cancer (I bet we all know fabulous parents who are cancer survivors, now with the same life expectancy as you or I.)
-lost a job (and temporarily in this economy can be well over a year and is now the NORM)
-realized with the years passing that they now feel too old

Imagine knowing or having an incling that the Chinese program would not go to 12-18 months, but to 4-6-8 years? Imagine if you were one of these families, imagine that you could have chosen another path and your dream would still be fulfilled. Imagine if your options are now gone. The lack of knowledge removed all options for so many.

Well those statistics, those people, may be watching referrals, looking, scanning the pictures (maybe) and wondering, would that have been my daughter/son. Can you imagine?

I think I can only begin to imagine. And so my heart goes out to all of the people I know well and those I know only from a distance who submitted their paperwork around the time I did and are on the outside looking in.

Let's not forget them.

(this post is for those I know who are the hidden statistics, even if you've moved on, it wasn't easy I'm sure)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

scary eh?

Rhonda said...

*sigh*

Chrissie said...

You're right ... it wasn't easy.

wzgirl said...

:raises hand: - outside looking in.