But I learned a new lesson also. The old lesson first, then the new lesson:
1. While trying to avoid dating and just be friends, guys may become very interested in you. The old addage of wanting what you can't have seemed to be incredibly powerful.
2. How to get guys to leave you alone? Mention you, as a single person, have a hope and dream of bringing a child into your life.
Picture the scene, nice quiet fun times hanging out and just being friends (on your end, but interest on their end) and then, all of a sudden the scene transitions to right out of the Bates Motel in Psycho. The sounds in the background feigning doom and gloom, the shower scene, the knife being lifted over and over.
Yeah, apparently, as you spread your pending, God I hope it (the adoption) all works out, joy, they are peeing in their pants, while their body literally gets sucked from the outside, through the air, into their eye sockets, swallowed up like a black hole into the abyss of their head... as they exit stage left. I'm not lying. Really. I swear, I saw it happen. Really. And in the background I heard the sound of a big truck backing up, beeeeep, beeeeep, beeeeep.
I saw it last night over dinner with a friend. Thank goodness he imploded instead of exploding, would have been hard to enjoy the awesome food if that had happened.
Sure, he was insterested in hearing all about the adoption, but quite frankly I got the distinct impression that his interest in me had suddenly changed.
Hmmm, will have to keep this in mind in the future. (okay, maybe there was no imploding or truck back up sound, but it's possible)
Note to self, bring garbage bag along for meals.)
2 comments:
Ha! I know I probably shouldn't laugh, but I can just see the poor schmucks squirming in their seats wondering, "holy hell, does she want me to be her baby daddy?" I love your dating stories. Brings back memories. Oh, and for the record, I met my husband during one of my self-imposed "dating hiatuses." ;)
The picture I see in my mind of his reaction is very interesting. I'm sure you had a hard time keeping your face straight. Of course Magpie will be the center of your world when she does arrive. And any man that you happen to meet would be lucky to have the two of you. You just never know what lies ahead.
Post a Comment