Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thoughts from a friend

Every so often a friend of mine, Al, says something that sparks an idea for a post. For instance, a few years ago I wrote the post about The Noise of Life. Al provided me with a very deep statement as he pondered something serious and quite important with someone in his family and some sudden news they received. He said:

Once again, the noise of daily life fades, I'm reminded of what's really important.

A simple but quite deep statement, saying so much with so little.

As I was driving home today, I caught up with a friend as we chatted about adoption and what was new in both of our lives. When we hung up I thought of something my friend Al said, late in 2008 (amazing the things that become part of your memory while other things fade away)

Your Red Thread is a tad more tangled than most but it's still connected.

This is how I view my journey over the last few years and I started to think more about that statement. I do view my journey as full of curves and curls in the Red Thread. You don't have to believe in fate or connections to hang with me on this one. I'm not trying to convert anyone to the validity of a Red Thread. But, my journey has been, well, not a very straight line and quite frankly full of more twists and turns than anyone might think possible. And so I came to the conclusion that:

Sometimes the strongest, and most direct route between 2 points is in fact the longer, curving, twisting, turning and lightly traveled route. And for me, this is as much about the evolution of my journey to Magpie as it is about the evolution of my life itself.

And in a strange sense, I am grateful for the twists and turns. And I can only hope that the journey leads me where I'm headed.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Yes it will one day lead you to your Magpie. I believe that with all my heart.