I had a post I was anxious to write, but have completely lost track of it.
Just before I went to write the post, the coverage of the opening ceremony of the Olympics mentions a luge accident.
And when I look up, the accident is on TV, too fast for me to turn away, to realize what was being shown was real. I was shocked, lump in my throat, just horrified they could be so cruel as to air it. This man, this 21 year old fulfilling what I bet was an unbelievable dream, to be in the Olympics, all cut short in a matter of seconds as he's launched off the track and collides with a metal upright along the track, at 88 mph. They even showed a close up, literally inches from his face, as paramedics try to save him, I'm sure there was no saving to do though.
There is a thin line, quite discernable I think, between covering news respectfully and with taste, and covering news just to gain ratings. Where are the days when a TV station says "we've chosen not to air the video out of respect for the injured or their family".
I cannot still fathom it. I can't believe about how many accidents there have been on the track. Is being the 'fastest track', the 'most challenging track' really THAT important? If an olympic city wants to stand out, do it with architecture (like the Bird's Nest) or being underbudget (what a feat given the last few debockles) or having the best experience for the athletes. But seriously? To make something so dangerous as to be 'cutting edge', so cutting that you could literally crush a person to pieces?
And to top it off, our local news is (coincidentally? -no f-ing way) running an 'Olympic special' about luge and bobsled and what not. Bastards, seems everyone is willing to sell their soul to get a few more people watching. I don't rubberneck on the highways and I sure as hell won't do it on TV either.
I have no idea what my post was going to be, but I imagine when I go to sleep tonight and for days to come I will see that horrible scene over and over again in my head. The lump in my throat is still there an hour later.
1 comment:
I thought it was absolutely horrific, too - that they distastefully aired it ... over and over. As if the first time we saw it wasn't horrific enough.
Shame on NBC.
Post a Comment