I took a number of pictures in Alaska, long before I went digital, the lense is not as good as what I replaced it with and the film shots just weren't as clear as what I've done with the digital camera. No matter what, the mountain range, Mt McKinley is an awesome sight.
We were lucky enough to see the mountain the 2 days we were lodged at the base, apparently the number of days you can see the peak each year is far less than 50, we had 2 of them, in a row.
I'll never forget standing far away from the peak, and yet still feeling so small, like it loomed out on the horizon and went on forever. I've thought of McKinley when I hear the following lyrics, there's just something about the message in them, about realizing reaching the peak of the mountains is possible, no matter how large those mountains may seem, but you'll never reach it if you don't try.
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Anything is possible if you're willing to risk and dream. So on this Photo Friday, I find myself thinking of my past and my future, and realizing I've accepted life is truly about living, about taking chances and life is made for the dreamers.
I am especially nostalgic and deep today, given a conversation with a friend on the way home, who is struggling with this very thought and is balancing a fear of never quite reaching the peak of the mountains versus loving every moment of the journey and realizing sometimes the view of the top is worth the journey even if you don't reach it.
And that is how Photo Friday all of a sudden became a little bit of Magpie Monday.


No comments:
Post a Comment