Scene:
(stopping by my house to let the dog out on a day trip to Boston as I drive past the house to bring someone home)
Someone: Nice house. (idle chit chat, blah blah blah. Not a judgement of the quality of the talk, more so why make a short story long.)
Me: Thanks. (as we head out on the deck and quickly soak in a moment of sun and peace. We head back in)
Me: (sort of proud and a bit curious to his thoughts as the first person to see what I'd been working on) what do you think of the photos? (as we walk by the area I'm slowly using to display my favorite pics. I'll share a snapshot on photo friday)
Someone: Really nice.
Me: I took them, they are some of my favorites (or some bs like that)
Someone: Really? huh. Wouldn't have guessed you'd be into photography. (or something close to that)
Me: Yeah I really like photography. (wondering huh? what made him say that. Am I really that boring and monochromatic on the outside? Yes Lisa, very much so, don't bother to ask.)
I ponder this moment several times that day and the next as he also was surprised that I did a little bit of gardening when we saw the old cornstalks and plants from last years veggie garden... something about didn't think you'd be the type. He wasn't surprised in the wow cool kind of way but more so the scratch head and try to put a puzzle together that doesn't make any freaking sense kind of way. Come on, you know the tone, the look.
Many people tend to be surprised when I have depth beyond just a technical person dweeb. Is it that I don't share my world, or is it the stereotypes we all jump to? Or is it a bit of both?
Either way, I guess people think I'm not that type of girl, whatever that means. Really?
Man I hate that box I live in OR that people place me in.
No comments:
Post a Comment