Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dawn turns into Day

Natures first green is gold. Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leafs a flower. but only so a hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf. So eden sank with grief. So dawn goes down to day. Nothing gold can stay. --Robert Frost

This quote takes me back a bit, further back, wait, a bit further back, oh yeah, that's right, early teen years when I first read Rumblefish. And who didn't read that book? Pony Boy. hmmm.

Anyway.

It can be a sad quote, a quote about the passing of something, the loss of something. It's a quote for sure about change.

But is it really just about the loss and passing of something? I went to bed with the line "nothing gold can stay" for some reason one night. When I woke up it was still there. The memory of that line mingled with something a few friends have said recently. One about how the end of one thing is always the beginning of another.

And then I thought of the song where the line "every new beginning is some other beginnings end".

And this is so true. So true.

Change is about things not remaining the same, dreams about this too. And so I've been thinking a lot about my beginnings about to begin and the ending of some of the places I currently am in life.

Do I mourn the loss of what's ending? I'm not sure. I'd like to say "no" because I've waited so long, beent hrough so much and so I should mourn the end of what once was. But I know better than that. I celebrate the joy of the beginning of one thing causing the end of another at the same time I recognize the loss and change from the last 40 years.

So the quote from Rumble Fish? I like to believe it's not about mourning necessarily, it's about recognizing that nothing stays the same forever, the passing of anything is part of life and finally I focus on the phrase "Dawn gives in to Day". Isn't that a good thing? The sun rises over the crest of dawn, you can feel it coming forever, very very dim morning light, slightly dim, little less dim, moderate dim, and then slowly the sun comes over the hill and Dawn turns into Day.

The journey I've been on is just like that, my dawn turning into my day. That dawn has taken a long long time to get here, like coming out of the long dark winter in Alaska, into the summer sun that lasts nearly all night long. My dawn is ending, by day is beginning.



Transitions are almost always signs of growth, but they can bring feelings of loss. To get somewhere new, we may have to leave somewhere else behind. - Mister Rogers

No comments: